Tesla China domestic sales in May see 75.73% MoM and 29.89% YoY rise

Credit: Tesla Asia/X

Data released by the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) has revealed that Tesla sold a total of 55,215 vehicles in the domestic Chinese market in May 2024. This represents a year-over-year gain of 29.89% from the 42,508 vehicles sold in May 2023 and a month-over-month increase of 75.73% from the 31,421 cars that were sold in April 2024. 

Tesla China’s exports, which were listed at 17,358 units in May 2024, represented a 50.67% year-over-year decrease from the 35,187 vehicles that were exported in May 2023 and a 43.54% month-over-month drop from the 30,746 that were exported in April 2024, as noted in a report from CNEV Post. This trend is quite unsurprising as Tesla tends to focus on the domestic Chinese market during the final month of a quarter.

Of the 72,573 vehicles sold wholesale by Tesla China in May, 45,359 units were Model Y crossovers. This suggests that last month, the Model Y accounted for 62.5% of the electric vehicle maker’s wholesale figures in China. The Model 3 sedan, on the other hand, represented 37.5% of Tesla China’s wholesale figures in May 2024, accounting for 27,214 units. 

Overall, China’s sales of New Energy Vehicles (NEVs) were listed at 804,000 units in May 2024, which represents a 38.64% year-over-year and a 18.75% month-over-month increase. The country’s Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) segment, on the other hand, was tracked at 495,000 units in May 2024, a 27.58% year-over-year and a 22.16% month-over-month increase.

With this in mind, Tesla China accounted for 6.87% of the country’s NEV segment. This is a 4.66% improvement compared to April 2024 but a 7.33% decline from the company’s NEV share from May 2023, as per CNEV Post’s estimates. Tesla also accounted for 11.15% of China’s BEV segment in May 2024. This represents a 7.76% month-over-month improvement from April 2024 and a 10.96% improvement from May 2023. 

From January to May 2024, Tesla China’s wholesale figures were tracked at 355,616 units, a 7.12% decline compared to the same period last year. Tesla’s drop in the domestic Chinese market is less notable, with the EV maker selling 219,056 units in the domestic automotive market from January to May 2024. Such a number represents a minor 0.38% decline year-over-year. 

Don’t hesitate to contact us with news tips. Just send a message to simon@teslarati.com to give us a heads up.

Simon Alvarez: Simon is a reporter with a passion for electric cars and clean energy. Fascinated by the world envisioned by Elon Musk, he hopes to make it to Mars (at least as a tourist) someday.
Related Post
Disqus Comments Loading...