Connect with us
Tesla, VW and several other EVs that qualify for the new 2023 US EV tax credit Tesla, VW and several other EVs that qualify for the new 2023 US EV tax credit

News

BEV sales passed new milestone in the U.S. in 2023; state adoption varies

Credit: Tesla

Published

on

New data shows that the battery electric vehicle (BEV) market continued to grow in the U.S. last year, while adoption rates varied from one state to the next.

U.S. BEV sales reached a milestone of 1.1 million units in 2023, according to data shared by Cox Automotive in a webcast on Monday. The figure, as presented in the webcast by Cox Director of Industry Insights Stephanie Valdez Streaty, represents roughly 8 percent of overall automotive sales for the year and a 46 percent increase year over year.

“2023 was the year of the EV, with many bumps and zigzags along the way,” Streaty said during the webcast. “The market has experienced its share of challenges. Some new electric models have flown off the lots, while others linger far longer. However, the EV market is growing.”

Along with the full-year sales, Cox said that BEV sales were up roughly 0.8 percent in Q4 from the previous quarter, and the firm expects continued growth going into 2024 and the coming years.

Advertisement

Credit: Cox Automotive

Tesla remained the BEV market leader in 2023, with a total of 654,888 units sold in the U.S. for a 25.4 percent increase year over year. The BEV maker also saw a total market share of 4.2 percent, leading automakers like Volkswagen, Subaru, BMW, and a number of others.

Additional OEMs that saw significant gains included overall market leader General Motors (GM), with a 14.1 percent sales increase year over year, and Honda, which saw a 33 percent jump in sales from 2022.

Considering both hybrid and BEV powertrains, EV market share landed around 16 percent last year, and Cox is expecting this combined share to jump to 24 percent in 2024, and to 31 percent in 2025. In those years alone, the market is set to gain 70 new EV models which are expected to help give momentum to the continued rise in market share.

Still, Streaty also pointed out that EV adoption rates vary from state to state, with those on the West Coast generally leading the charge. She also notes that the sales adoption numbers come from S&P registration data, and a lag in reporting these numbers means the following details are only through October 2023, rather than the full year.

While states like California and Washington boasted EV share rates of 21.1 percent and 15.4 percent, respectively, others lagged well behind the national standard of around 7.4 percent through October. States such as West Virginia and North Dakota saw EV adoption rates as low as 1.1 percent and 0.7 percent, respectively.

Advertisement

Cox plans to release its larger EV report later this week, including more full-year 2023 sales details for BEVs in the U.S. You can also see the firm’s full set of presentation slides from the Monday webcast here.

Credit: Cox Automotive

Updated 6:27 p.m. MT: Corrected wording in the second paragraph to say EV sales reached 1.1 million units in 2023.

RELATED:

Tesla outpaces Volkswagen, Subaru, BMW in 2023 U.S. market share

What are your thoughts? Let me know at zach@teslarati.com, find me on X at @zacharyvisconti, or send your tips to us at tips@teslarati.com.

Advertisement

Zach is a renewable energy reporter who has been covering electric vehicles since 2020. He grew up in Fremont, California, and he currently lives in Colorado. His work has appeared in the Chicago Tribune, KRON4 San Francisco, FOX31 Denver, InsideEVs, CleanTechnica, and many other publications. When he isn't covering Tesla or other EV companies, you can find him writing and performing music, drinking a good cup of coffee, or hanging out with his cats, Banks and Freddie. Reach out at zach@teslarati.com, find him on X at @zacharyvisconti, or send us tips at tips@teslarati.com.

Advertisement
Comments

Elon Musk

Elon Musk’s X sees outage on Monday as users report issues

Monday’s outage follows a similar issue that befell the social media platform in mid-January.

Published

on

Credit: Linda Yaccarino/X

X experienced an outage on Monday morning, with tens of thousands of users reporting that the platform failed to load across both desktop and mobile. The disruption began around 8:02 a.m. ET, as per Downdetector data, and quickly escalated in the U.S. and U.K.

Monday’s outage follows a similar issue that befell the social media platform in mid-January.

Shortly after 8 a.m. ET, Downdetector showed a sharp rise in incident reports. At one point, U.S. complaints exceeded 40,000, while U.K. reports climbed past 6,000. Earlier in the outage, filings had already crossed 11,000 in the U.S. and 3,300 in the U.K., as noted in a TechRadar report. X users in other locations, such as the Philippines and Costa Rica, also reported similar issues.

Users attempting to access X were met with a “something went wrong” message. Feeds did not refresh, posts failed to appear, and both the social media platform’s app and web versions appeared affected by the issue. The outage struck during peak weekday usage, amplifying its visibility across regions worldwide.

Advertisement

X has not issued an official explanation for the latest outage or confirmed what caused the service disruption. The scale of complaints drew comparisons to the platform’s major outage in November 2025, which resulted in users being met with “Internal server error / Error code 500” messages, as well as Cloudflare-related error notices.

The incident also comes just weeks after X experienced a similar downtime in mid-January. That outage seemed more notable, however, with more than 100,000 users reporting issues with the social media platform on Downdetector.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Elon Musk

New details emerge on The Boring Company’s Universal tunnel plans

The materials outline staffing, construction timelines, tunnel configuration, and operational details that were not previously public.

Published

on

Credit: Grok Imagine

Newly released bidding documents have shed light on how Elon Musk’s Boring Company plans to connect Universal Orlando Resort’s north campus to Universal Epic Universe. 

The materials outline staffing, construction timelines, tunnel configuration, and operational details that were not previously public about the planned Loop system.

The Shingle Creek Transit & Utility Community Development District voted Feb. 11 to begin contract negotiations with The Boring Company after ranking it the top bidder for the Universal Orlando transport project. Now, evaluation documents obtained by local news media reveal how the company intends to execute the project, according to Attraction Insight.

The proposal describes a twin-tunnel configuration, with one tunnel in each direction. It also noted that permitting, design, and construction could take roughly a year and a half once approvals are secured. The company indicated it could deploy multiple tunnel boring machines and install temporary support infrastructure, including muck storage pits and stormwater systems, during construction.

Advertisement

Bid documents list eight internal specialists assigned to the project, including tunnel engineers, structural engineers, and tunnel boring machine experts. Six subcontractors would handle fire protection, communications, soil treatment, and concrete work.

The company stated it “has the necessary internally produced tunneling equipment and personnel immediately available to complete this project for the district as quickly as permits and approvals can be obtained.”

Operationally, the system would mirror the company’s Las Vegas Loop model, using Tesla vehicles to provide point-to-point transport rather than fixed-route buses. The proposal frames the concept as “on-demand, express transportation,” with vehicles dispatched as needed and capacity adjustable in real time.

Stations could be built underground or above ground with ramp access into tunnels. The documents also referenced potential future integration of a configurable Robovan for passengers and cargo, though capacity projections for the Orlando tunnels have not yet been disclosed.

Advertisement

The proposal states that the Loop can integrate “easily into environmentally sensitive areas,” but it does not provide detailed mitigation plans for Central Florida’s high water table and limestone geology, which is susceptible to sinkholes. The company has stated that it intends to hire an Orlando-based geotechnical firm to evaluate soil conditions.

Continue Reading

News

Tesla Giga Berlin dispute against IG Metall union leads to investigation

As per a report from rbb24, police seized a laptop belonging to an IG Metall member at Tesla Giga Berlin on Tuesday afternoon.

Published

on

Credit: Tesla Manufacturing/X

German authorities have opened an investigation into an IG Metall union representative following allegations that a confidential works council meeting at Tesla’s Gigafactory Berlin was secretly recorded. The probe follows a criminal complaint filed by Tesla management last week.

As per a report from rbb24, police seized a laptop belonging to an IG Metall member at Tesla Giga Berlin on Tuesday afternoon. Prosecutors in Frankfurt (Oder) confirmed that an investigation is underway into a possible unauthorized audio recording of an internal works council meeting.

Under German law, recording a non-public meeting without consent may constitute a criminal offense.

Tesla stated that Gigafactory Berlin employees alerted management after allegedly discovering that an external union representative, who was attending the event as a guest, had recorded the session. Plant manager André Thierig stated in a post on X that the representative was “caught in action,” prompting the company to contact police and file a criminal complaint.

Advertisement

The seized device is now part of the investigation, and authorities will determine whether any unlawful recording had indeed occurred.

IG Metall has denied the accusation. In comments to German media, representatives rejected Tesla’s claim and described the electric vehicle maker’s allegation as an election campaign tactic ahead of upcoming works council elections.

The election at Tesla’s Grünheide plant is scheduled for March 2–4, 2026, with about 11,000 employees being eligible to vote. Regular works council elections in Germany are held every four years between March and May.

The incident comes amid tensions between Tesla and organized labor in Germany. While works councils operate independently from unions, IG Metall has been active at the plant and has previously criticized Tesla’s labor practices. Authorities, for their part, have not yet announced whether charges will be filed, though the investigation remains ongoing.

Advertisement
Continue Reading