Connect with us
Trevor_Milton Trevor_Milton

News

Jurors at Nikola founder’s fraud trial will be allowed to see Nikola One “rolling” video

Miljøstiftelsen ZERO, CC BY 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

Published

on

Jurors who would be serving in Nikola founder Trevor Milton’s fraud trial next week would be allowed to view the company’s infamous “Nikola One in Motion” video. The marketing video was among Nikola’s most controversial, as it showed the Nikola One truck seemingly driving on its own power when it was, in fact, being rolled down a hill. 

US District Judge Edgardo Ramos ruled about the issue after he rejected the Nikola founder’s motions to dismiss an indictment accusing Milton of lying to investors about the hydrogen and electric truck company’s progress in developing its technology starting in 2019. Milton, for his part, has opted to plead not guilty. 

As noted in a Reuters report, jury selection on Milton’s case is set to start this coming Monday. The trial itself is expected to last about five weeks. 

Milton, whose fall from grace was closely monitored by the online EV community, stepped down from his post in Nikola amidst controversy resulting from Hindenburg Research’s report, which accused the company of fraud. Since Milton’s departure, the truck maker has focused on the Nikola Tre, delivering 48 of the all-electric daycab trucks in the second quarter of 2022. Nikola’s annual report suggests that the company is looking to produce a total of 300 to 500 Tre units by the end of 2022. 

Advertisement

According to prosecutors, Milton’s misleading statements included assertions that the company had seen early success in the Nikola One, even if he personally knew that the truck did not really work. Audrey Strauss, a top federal prosecutor at the time of Milton’s July 2021 arrest, had noted that the closest the company got to a working Nikola One prototype was when the truck was rolled down a hill for a commercial. 

Milton’s legal team had pushed for the exclusion of the “Nikola One in Motion” video from the trial. Lawyer Bradley Bondi argued that the controversial ad was filmed before the alleged wrongdoings described in the indictment. Bondi also noted that Milton himself had already acknowledged that the Nikola one had not really moved under its own power in the marketing video. 

“They want to bring it in because they want to inflame the jury,” Bondi noted, stating that the video was a “sideshow circus.”

Judge Ramos, however, disagreed with Nikola’s legal team. He noted that the controversial “Nikola One in Motion” video was “direct evidence” of the charges against Milton. Nikola, for its part, has stated that an outside party had shot the video and that the Nikola One was never really described to have moved “under its own propulsion.”

Advertisement

Don’t hesitate to contact us with news tips. Just send a message to simon@teslarati.com to give us a heads up.

Simon is an experienced automotive reporter with a passion for electric cars and clean energy. Fascinated by the world envisioned by Elon Musk, he hopes to make it to Mars (at least as a tourist) someday. For stories or tips--or even to just say a simple hello--send a message to his email, simon@teslarati.com or his handle on X, @ResidentSponge.

Advertisement
Comments

Cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck’s newest trim will undergo massive change in ten days, Musk says

It appears as if the new All-Wheel-Drive trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Elon Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Published

on

(Credit: Tesla)

Tesla’s new Cybertruck trim has already gotten the axe from CEO Elon Musk, who said the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the all-electric pickup will only be available “for the next ten days.”

Musk could mean the price, which is $59,990, or the availability of the trim altogether.

Last night, Tesla launched the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, a pickup that comes in at less than $60,000 and features a competitive range and features that are not far off from the offerings of the premium trim.

Tesla launches new Cybertruck trim with more features than ever for a low price

It was a nice surprise from Tesla, considering that last year, it offered a Rear-Wheel-Drive trim of the Cybertruck that only lasted a few months. It had extremely underwhelming demand because it was only $10,000 cheaper than the next trim level up, and it was missing a significant number of premium features.

Simply put, it was not worth the money. Tesla killed the RWD Cybertruck just a few months after offering it.

With the news that Tesla was offering this All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, many fans and consumers were encouraged. The Cybertruck has been an underwhelming seller, and this seemed to be a lot of truck for the price when looking at its features:

  • Dual Motor AWD w/ est. 325 mi of range
  • Powered tonneau cover
  • Bed outlets (2x 120V + 1x 240V) & Powershare capability
  • Coil springs w/ adaptive damping
  • Heated first-row seats w/ textile material that is easy to clean
  • Steer-by-wire & Four Wheel Steering
  • 6’ x 4’ composite bed
  • Towing capacity of up to 7,500 lbs
  • Powered frunk

It appears as if this trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Musk could mean the price of the truck and not necessarily the ability to order it. However, most are taking it as a cancellation.

If it is, in fact, a short-term availability decision, it is baffling, especially as Tesla fans and analysts claim that metrics like quarterly deliveries are no longer important. This seems like a way to boost sales short-term, and if so many people are encouraged about this offering, why would it be kept around for such a short period of time?

Some are even considering the potential that Tesla axes the Cybertruck program as a whole. Although Musk said during the recent Q4 Earnings Call that Cybertruck would still be produced, the end of the Model S and Model X programs indicates Tesla might be prepared to do away with any low-volume vehicles that do not contribute to the company’s future visions of autonomy.

The decision to axe the car just ten days after making it available seems like a true head-scratcher.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

Elon Musk’s Neuralink sparks BCI race in China

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Published

on

Credit: Neuralink

Neuralink, founded by Elon Musk, is helping spark a surge of brain-computer interface (BCI) development in China, where startups are moving quickly into human trials with strong state backing. 

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Neuralink’s clinical work and public demonstrations have drawn worldwide attention to invasive brain implants that allow patients to control digital devices using their minds. The company is currently running a global clinical trial and is also busy preparing for its next product, Blindsight, which would restore vision to people with visual impairments.

Neuralink’s visibility has helped accelerate similar efforts in China. Beijing last year classified brain-computer interfaces as a strategic sector and issued a roadmap calling for two or three globally competitive companies by 2030, as per the Financial Times. Since February last year, at least 10 clinical trials for invasive brain chips have launched in the country.

Advertisement

NeuroXess recently reported that a paralyzed patient was able to control a computer cursor within five days of implantation. Founder Tiger Tao credited government support for helping shorten the path from research to trials.

Investment activity has followed the policy push. Industry data show dozens of financing rounds for Chinese BCI startups over the past year, reflecting rising capital interest in the field. Ultimately, while Neuralink remains one of the most closely watched players globally, its momentum has clearly energized competitors abroad.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Tesla Supercharger vandalized with frozen cables and anti-Musk imagery amid Sweden union dispute

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall.

Published

on

Credit: Tesla Charging/X

Tesla’s Supercharger site in Vansbro, Sweden, was vandalized during peak winter travel weeks. Images shared to local media showed frozen charging cables and a banner reading “Go home Elon,” which was complete with a graphic of Musk’s controversial gesture. 

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall, which has been striking against the company for more than two years over collective bargaining agreements, as noted in a report from Expressen.

Local resident Stefan Jakobsson said he arrived at the Vansbro charging station to find a board criticizing Elon Musk and accusing Tesla of strikebreaking. He also found the charging cables frozen after someone seemingly poured water over them.

“I laughed a little and it was pretty nicely drawn. But it was a bit unnecessary,” Jakobsson said. “They don’t have to do vandalism because they’re angry at Elon Musk.”

Advertisement

The site has seen heavy traffic during Sweden’s winter sports holidays, with travelers heading toward Sälen and other mountain destinations. Jakobsson said long lines formed last weekend, with roughly 50 Teslas and other EVs waiting to charge.

Tesla Superchargers in Sweden are typically open to other electric vehicle brands, making them a reliable option for all EV owners. 

Tesla installed a generator at the location after sympathy strikes from other unions disrupted power supply to some stations. The generator itself was reportedly not working on the morning of the incident, though it is unclear whether that was connected to the protest.

The dispute between Tesla and IF Metall centers on the company’s refusal to sign a collective agreement covering Swedish workers. The strike has drawn support from other unions, including Seko, which has taken steps affecting electricity supply to certain Tesla facilities. Tesla Sweden, for its part, has insisted that its workers are already fairly compensated and it does not need a collective agreement,

Advertisement

Jesper Pettersson, press spokesperson for IF Metall, criticized Tesla’s use of generators to keep charging stations running. Still, IF Metall emphasized that it strongly distances itself from the vandalism incident at the Vansbro Supercharger.

“We think it is remarkable that instead of taking the easy route and signing a collective agreement for our members, they are choosing to use every possible means to get around the strike,” Pettersson said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading