News
Tesla is mainly responsible for the growth of the US’ EV market share, says study
There are several notable companies making all-electric vehicles, but among them, Tesla remains the undisputed leader when it comes to raising awareness for EVs. This was recently reflected in a study from Atlanta-based Cox Automotive, which surveyed 2,503 consumers comprised of electric car owners, EV considerers and EV non-considerers, as well as 308 franchised dealers, to determine the gap between consumers’ and dealers’ barriers and expectations with the current EV realities in the United States.
Based on the results of the study, 81% of car buyers who were open to acquiring an electric car listed Tesla as a vehicle that they were considering for purchase. The gap between Tesla and veteran automakers is notable, with the second place, Toyota, far behind at 52%. Chevrolet was listed by 47% of potential EV buyers, Nissan was listed by 42%, and Honda was listed by a mere 39% of EV considerers.
In a conference call with reporters, Cox Automotive Mobility Group manager of Research & Market Intelligence Rachelle Petusky credited Tesla for positioning itself as a key leader in the electric vehicle market. “They’ve done a wonderful job at presenting themselves as the innovative leader of electric vehicles and therefore, this is translating high awareness among consumers,” she said.
Petusky even went so far as to state that without Tesla in the picture, the market share for electric cars in the United States is “stagnant.” This was despite the alleged impending arrival of dozens upon dozens of electric and electrified vehicles from traditional carmakers.
While Tesla remains a dominating force in the pure electric car segment, Cox’s study also showed that a notable portion car buyers still have reservations about EVs as a whole. Among the respondents who identified themselves as EV Non-Considerers, 83% listed battery limitations and charging anxiety while 70% listed high costs as their barriers to purchasing an electric car. This, according to Petusky, is unfortunate, as EV pricing has actually increased far less than the price of internal combustion cars over the past years.
“EV pricing has only minimally increased in the last 7 years while pricing for new internal combustion engine vehicles has spiked almost 19%. This affordability gap, as it closes, is one of the key areas of educational opportunities for both dealers and OEMS to help consumers to understand what is really a valid option for them,” she said.
Misconceptions about battery longevity are also abounding. Even among respondents who are considering an electric car purchase, 50% viewed the average battery life of EVs at 100,000 miles or more, while 46% stated that they believe the average battery life of an EV was only 65,000 miles or less. In comparison, Consumer Reports notes that the expected lifespan of an internal combustion engine is about 200,000 miles.
Quite interestingly, dealers who participated in the survey admitted that they are experiencing operational challenges in pushing EV sales. Apart from vehicle costs and battery longevity, 55% of dealers reported a lack of inventory and available models as difficulties, while 54% stated that they see lower ROI for EVs compared to internal combustion cars. A third of the dealers in the study also pointed to the lack of OEM sales, marketing support, and poor sales training as a challenge for more electric car sales. Only 9% of dealers stated that carmakers are exerting pressure to hit EV sales targets as well.
Cox Automotive’s full press release on its recent EV study could be found here.
News
Tesla will launch Cybercab on September 3
Tesla Cybercab is set to launch in Austin, Texas, on September 3, as the company has officially started sending out invitations to a dedicated event it will hold in the city where its headquarters is located.
The Cybercab is Tesla’s dedicated ride-sharing vehicle: it features just two seats and has no steering wheel or pedals. It is aimed at fully autonomous passenger transport, and will operate in the Robotaxi fleet alongside the Tesla Model Y, which has been performing driverless rides for real-world passengers for more than a year.
Thank you so much @Tesla for inviting us to the Cybercab launch in Austin! 🤠 pic.twitter.com/F1rAR8zd5O
— TESLARATI (@Teslarati) August 22, 2026
The launch of the Cybercab marks the next chapter in Tesla’s autonomy story. The company has been developing autonomous transport for years with its Full Self-Driving (Supervised) platform, which is available in any vehicle the company has built with the proper hardware and software capabilities.
Its capabilities vary by hardware and software version, but Tesla says its latest hardware version, known as AI4, can deliver full autonomy. However, future vehicles will operate with even more robust hardware packages, as Tesla will develop AI4.5 and AI5 for even more capability in its vehicles.
Following a report from The Information that surfaced earlier this week, the writing was on the wall that Tesla was set to launch Cybercab in the near term. The report stated Tesla could launch Cybercab as soon as the end of August. Tesla came close and has booked it for September 3.
The big thing with this event being scheduled is not necessarily that Tesla is launching a new vehicle, but instead that it is launching a vehicle that has no steering wheel or pedals and will operate exclusively on a self-driving program that is evidently nearing full autonomy. If the event allows vehicles to take passengers on public roads and drop them off wherever they please within the City of Austin, it will be a drastic advancement in the company’s self-driving story.
People have ridden in Cybercab previously: Tesla had the “We, Robot” event in October 2024, which allowed people to experience fully autonomous rides in a closed circuit at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank.
🚨 Ride in a Tesla Cybercab with us
— TESLARATI (@Teslarati) May 11, 2025
Additionally, Tesla launched employee rides in Cybercab in July.
It’s a drastic step forward for Tesla, whose CEO, Elon Musk, has promised for years that the company would release a fully autonomous vehicle and platform capable of allowing drivers to relinquish any responsibility behind the wheel.
Elon Musk
SpaceX and a new Trump order that could rewrite the next decade of launches
Elon Musk put a number on where he thinks SpaceX’s Starship program is headed by 2030, replying on X a day after President Trump signed a memo pushing the country toward 1,000 space launches and reentries a year.
The exchange started when Aaron Burnett, co-founder of propulsion startup Mach 33, posted that “1,000 launches/reentries is the goal,” quoting White House science adviser Michael Kratsios on the newly signed National Space Transportation Policy. Burnett noted that the FAA’s own bull-case forecast reached only 385 annual launches by 2030, while his firm’s conservative model already put SpaceX alone near 940. Musk responded, “We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized. Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!”
We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized.
Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 21, 2026
That figure is specific to Starship, the rocket SpaceX is still developing for orbital and lunar missions, not the Falcon 9 fleet that carries most of the company’s current launch volume. Starship has flown twice this year, a slower pace than the four and five flights SpaceX managed in 2024 and 2025. Getting from two flights a year to 30 a day is the scale of jump the new federal policy is meant to clear regulatory room for.
Trump’s memo, signed Thursday, directs agencies to identify new launch and reentry sites on federal land, including a new reentry site within 90 days, and to speed up the permitting and environmental reviews that have long slowed cadence growth. It also sets a goal of returning American astronauts to the moon by 2028 and placing initial lunar base elements by 2030, tying the launch buildout directly to NASA’s Artemis program.
SpaceX has already been pushing the FAA toward higher numbers on its own. The agency approved up to 44 annual Starship launches from Kennedy Space Center in February, on top of a 2024 review that raised the cap at Starbase in Texas to 25 a year. Those approvals cover a fraction of the 10,000 annual flights Musk is now describing, which shows how far current permitting still sits from the administration’s stated target.
The near-term test of all this is more modest. SpaceX cleared a full-duration, six-engine static fire on its next Starship vehicle this week, the last major hardware checkpoint before Flight 14, which is targeting no earlier than August 28 and is expected to attempt the vehicle’s first full orbital mission. Musk said last week that a tower catch of the upper stage is still probably months away, a reminder that the immediate roadmap remains far more incremental than the daily launch numbers he just posted.
News
Tesla will resolve massive China recall with stickers and a software update
Tesla will resolve its massive recall of nearly three million vehicles in China with stickers and a software update.
On Friday, Chinese regulators filed recall plans against Tesla, Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng, Chery, Geely, Dongfeng, Arcfox, and FAW to resolve what is essentially a carbon-copy issue throughout each of the companies’ vehicle models: emergency door release latches are simply not visible enough.
Tesla door handle saga gets its latest chapter and a big change is coming
The companies will be required to add things that will make these latches, which will open the door in the event of an emergency, more visible. Of the 7 million vehicles impacted, Tesla accounts for 2,975,910 units. More than 1.9 million of those are Model Y vehicles, with the rest, just over 970,000, being Model 3s.
To resolve the issue, Tesla is going to add warning labels to the emergency latches free of charge, and then utilize an Over-the-Air update to add a post-crash window-lowering strategy, according to CNEVpost.
This massive effort to fix the all-electric Model Y and Model 3’s emergency latch system comes just months after several probes across various markets identified the trouble some had identifying this latch. Those who had gotten involved in car accidents that stripped the vehicle of its power were not aware that every Tesla has emergency door latches.
China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) said that severe crashes that disable a vehicle’s low-voltage system could not only hinder occupants from getting out, but also make it more difficult for emergency response workers to gain entry.
SAMR is starting to tighten the regulations it has on door handles on vehicles. A new mandatory national standard will take effect for all models starting January 1, 2027, and will require all doors to be equipped with mechanical release mechanisms. This will effectively end purely electronic door handles. Models already on sale with type approval have been granted a two-year transition period, which will enable things to change until January 2029.