Connect with us

News

Details Behind the Tesla Model S Hack

Two researchers broke into the software of a Tesla recently. But there is good news behind the Tesla Model S hack. A fix was sent to all cars within days.

Published

on

Tesla Model S hack

Tesla Model S infotainment system also serves as the command center to the vehicle.

Last week, Marc Rogers, of content delivery network CloudFlare, and Lookout Mobile Security co-founder Kevin Mahaffey completed a digital break-in of a Tesla. But here’s the good news behind the Tesla Model S hack. Tesla quickly released an over-the-air firmware update, to every Model S ever manufactured, that would resolve the security holes uncovered by Rogers and Mahaffey.

The Tesla Hack

Rogers and Mahaffey had to dismantle the dashboard to gain access to an ethernet port. From there, they were able to connect directly to the CAN bus, the controller area network across which car data is sent and received.

After that, they chained together four separate vulnerabilities, first to gain access to the infotainment systems and then the touchscreen used to control vehicle functions. That let them make the speedometer disappear, alter the suspension, unlock the doors and the trunk, and make the windows go up and down. They were also able to shut down the car’s electric motor below 5 mph.

Above that speed, the dashboard screens would go blank but the car would shift into neutral, giving the driver time to find a safe place to bring the car to a stop. “Ironically, that means it’s the only car that can protect itself against a successful cyber attack,” Rogers noted.

Tesla’s Response

“Tesla has taken a number of different measures to address the effects of all six vulnerabilities reported by Lookout. And, we continue to develop further ways to harden our systems, informed by ongoing discussions with the security research community, as well as our own internal analysis. The update has been made available to all Model S customers through an OTA update. We will deploy this update to all vehicles by Thursday,” a spokesperson said in a statement e-mailed to Forbes.

Other auto manufacturers are following in Tesla’s footsteps by making internet updates available for their upcoming line of vehicles, but are starting years behind Tesla.

Rogers and Mahaffey say they also found two potential browser vulnerabilities that they exposed but did not exploit. Those flaws, resident in the WebKit browser engine, could possibly have enabled remote attacks, but Tesla’s new firmware update has resolved those issues as well.

Tesla CTO Toasts Hackers

While Rogers and Mahaffey were explaining their hacks at Def Con 23 last Friday, Tesla CTO J. B. Straubel made a surprise appearance to offer them a toast and personally thank them for their work. J.B. presented the duo with “Challenge Coins,” which will Tesla will be giving to any researcher who finds a serious security hole in their vehicles.

-

Tesla's approach to distribute vulnerability and feature updates through over-the-air technology, similar to how one updates software on their mobile device, clearly puts it steps ahead of other automakers.

Chris Evans, who previously worked on Google’s elite Project Zero research team, became head of digital security at Tesla this past week. He was involved in the software update that the company has now sent to all customers. “This gives me really high hopes with Tesla going forward," says Mahaffey. “I would like to see what they’ve done as a reference model for others. I think they’ve got lessons to learn but they’re 75 per cent there."

As cars acquire more digital capability, the opportunities for outside interference either by "white hat" hackers or those bent on doing actual harm will increase. Tesla, though, has the most robust program for identifying and resolving digital security issues of any manufacturer. That commitment should give every Tesla owner and prospective owner a full measure of confidence in the integrity of Tesla automobiles, now and in the future.

"I write about technology and the coming zero emissions revolution."

Advertisement
Comments

Elon Musk

SpaceX and a new Trump order that could rewrite the next decade of launches

Published

on

By

Elon Musk put a number on where he thinks SpaceX’s Starship program is headed by 2030, replying on X a day after President Trump signed a memo pushing the country toward 1,000 space launches and reentries a year.

The exchange started when Aaron Burnett, co-founder of propulsion startup Mach 33, posted that “1,000 launches/reentries is the goal,” quoting White House science adviser Michael Kratsios on the newly signed National Space Transportation Policy. Burnett noted that the FAA’s own bull-case forecast reached only 385 annual launches by 2030, while his firm’s conservative model already put SpaceX alone near 940. Musk responded, “We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized. Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!”

That figure is specific to Starship, the rocket SpaceX is still developing for orbital and lunar missions, not the Falcon 9 fleet that carries most of the company’s current launch volume. Starship has flown twice this year, a slower pace than the four and five flights SpaceX managed in 2024 and 2025. Getting from two flights a year to 30 a day is the scale of jump the new federal policy is meant to clear regulatory room for.

Trump’s memo, signed Thursday, directs agencies to identify new launch and reentry sites on federal land, including a new reentry site within 90 days, and to speed up the permitting and environmental reviews that have long slowed cadence growth. It also sets a goal of returning American astronauts to the moon by 2028 and placing initial lunar base elements by 2030, tying the launch buildout directly to NASA’s Artemis program.

SpaceX has already been pushing the FAA toward higher numbers on its own. The agency approved up to 44 annual Starship launches from Kennedy Space Center in February, on top of a 2024 review that raised the cap at Starbase in Texas to 25 a year. Those approvals cover a fraction of the 10,000 annual flights Musk is now describing, which shows how far current permitting still sits from the administration’s stated target.

The near-term test of all this is more modest. SpaceX cleared a full-duration, six-engine static fire on its next Starship vehicle this week, the last major hardware checkpoint before Flight 14, which is targeting no earlier than August 28 and is expected to attempt the vehicle’s first full orbital mission. Musk said last week that a tower catch of the upper stage is still probably months away, a reminder that the immediate roadmap remains far more incremental than the daily launch numbers he just posted.

Advertisement
-
Continue Reading

News

Tesla will resolve massive China recall with stickers and a software update

Published

on

tesla frozen door handle
Credit: YouTube | HMKARKI

Tesla will resolve its massive recall of nearly three million vehicles in China with stickers and a software update.

On Friday, Chinese regulators filed recall plans against Tesla, Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng, Chery, Geely, Dongfeng, Arcfox, and FAW to resolve what is essentially a carbon-copy issue throughout each of the companies’ vehicle models: emergency door release latches are simply not visible enough.

Tesla door handle saga gets its latest chapter and a big change is coming

The companies will be required to add things that will make these latches, which will open the door in the event of an emergency, more visible. Of the 7 million vehicles impacted, Tesla accounts for 2,975,910 units. More than 1.9 million of those are Model Y vehicles, with the rest, just over 970,000, being Model 3s.

To resolve the issue, Tesla is going to add warning labels to the emergency latches free of charge, and then utilize an Over-the-Air update to add a post-crash window-lowering strategy, according to CNEVpost.

This massive effort to fix the all-electric Model Y and Model 3’s emergency latch system comes just months after several probes across various markets identified the trouble some had identifying this latch. Those who had gotten involved in car accidents that stripped the vehicle of its power were not aware that every Tesla has emergency door latches.

China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) said that severe crashes that disable a vehicle’s low-voltage system could not only hinder occupants from getting out, but also make it more difficult for emergency response workers to gain entry.

SAMR is starting to tighten the regulations it has on door handles on vehicles. A new mandatory national standard will take effect for all models starting January 1, 2027, and will require all doors to be equipped with mechanical release mechanisms. This will effectively end purely electronic door handles. Models already on sale with type approval have been granted a two-year transition period, which will enable things to change until January 2029.

Continue Reading

News

Tesla Semi is officially headed to Europe

Published

on

Credit: Tesla

Tesla has officially confirmed plans to bring its all-electric Semi truck to Europe, with full specifications and market-launch details set for unveiling at the IAA Transportation trade fair in Hannover, Germany.

The event runs September 15–20, with a possible press preview on September 14. The announcement, shared via Tesla’s Semi account, marks a significant expansion beyond North America nearly nine years after the truck’s original 2017 reveal.

In the United States, the Semi’s path has been gradual. Limited pilot production and customer deliveries began in late 2022, primarily to fleets such as PepsiCo. After years of refinement, high-volume manufacturing started on April 29, 2026, at a dedicated facility adjacent to Gigafactory Nevada.

The plant targets an annual capacity of 50,000 units, though the ramp is expected to be gradual, with “many thousands” of trucks projected by the end of 2026.

Demand is building, with recent orders including 500 units for Einride (deliveries starting September 2026, serving Amazon and others) and hundreds more from operators such as WattEV. Pricing stands at approximately $260,000 for the Standard Range and $290,000 for the Long Range before incentives.

Tesla Semi pricing revealed after company uncovers trim levels

Earlier in 2026, Tesla finalized production specifications that incorporated substantial updates. In February, the company detailed two variants designed for a full 82,000-pound gross combination weight.

Advertisement
-

The Standard Range offers about 325 miles of range with a 548 kWh battery and curb weight under 20,000 pounds. The Long Range delivers roughly 500 miles with an 822 kWh pack and a 23,000-pound curb weight. Both use three independent rear-axle motors producing up to 800 kW (about 1,073 horsepower), achieve energy consumption of around 1.7 kWh per mile, and support megawatt-class charging at up to 1.2 MW—recovering about 60 percent of range in 30 minutes through the MCS standard.

Additional refinements include a roughly 1,000-pound weight reduction versus earlier prototypes, improved aerodynamics, a 48-volt electrical architecture, electric power take-off up to 25 kW for refrigerated trailers, and fleet management software with over-the-air updates.

These advances position the Semi as a competitive option against diesel trucks on operating costs and performance. For Europe, adaptations such as lighting, cab configurations (including potential sleeper options), and regulatory compliance are anticipated.

With series production underway in Nevada and major fleet commitments secured, the upcoming IAA reveal will clarify timelines, European-specific specs, and pricing, potentially accelerating electrification of heavy-duty freight on both continents.

Continue Reading