Connect with us

News

Full autonomy will arrive sooner than expected, says Tesla CEO

Published

on

Tesla Autopilot in 'Shadow Mode' will pit human vs computer

During the Tesla Motors earnings call on Wednesday, Elon Musk told analysts and investors, “Full autonomy is going to come a hell of a lot faster than anyone thinks it will. And I think what we’ve got under development is going to blow people’s minds. Blows my mind.”

Full autonomy will reduce fatalities

He bemoaned the amount of attention being paid to the first fatality while using Autopilot. Even though there are more than 32,000 highway deaths a year in America — a number that has gone up recently as cheap gasoline has led to an increase in the number of miles driven — the media, regulators, and even Congress have been talking non-stop about the death of Joshua Brown on May 7.

“Tesla can’t sneeze without there being a national headline,” Musk said. He promised that work on full autonomous driving would continue with the intention of making it available as soon as possible. It will make the Tesla Minibus possible, an idea that was contained in Musk’s Master Plan Part Deux when it was revealed last month.

Tesla to make own inverter

Even though the Tesla/SolarCity merger is not yet a done deal, Musk is behaving as if it is inevitable. A critical piece of any solar power system is the inverter. It converts the direct current supplied by solar panels into the alternating current used by homes and businesses. It is essential to the Tesla Powerwall residential storage battery system.

“There’s no question Tesla’s going to do an integrated inverter. It’s the logical thing to do,” said Musk during the conference call. “Most people don’t even know what an inverter is.”

Until this point, Tesla has been using inverters supplied by third parties, but Musk has a preference for bringing as many components of his products in-house, where design and supplies can be tightly controlled.

Climbing out of “factory hell”

Musk told analysts on Wednesday that Tesla “just managed to climb out of hell” in June but now the “production line is humming.”  The company reported weekly production stood at 2,000 cars by the end of the quarter. Musk expects that number to increase to 2,200 cars a week in Q3 and rise higher still to 2,400 cars a week by the end of the year.

Burned by persistent delays from suppliers for the Model X, he sent a warning to suppliers involved with the production of the Model 3, saying “suppliers who fall short will be cut out of the picture.”

EPS disappoint

Tesla reported a lost of $1.06 per share for Q2, which was considerably more than most analysts expected. The stock was down immediately after the earnings call but quickly rebounded in after hours trading. The stock reaction is “another lesson that Tesla’s stock doesn’t trade over earnings per share,” said analyst Ben Kallo of Robert W. Baird & Co. “Automotive gross margin improved, and the commentary about demand helps with the stock as well.”

As much as Elon dislikes the attention being paid to Tesla because of the death of Joshua Brown, his company gets more press attention than all other car makers combined — a critical part of Tesla’s plan to market its cars without the benefit of traditional advertising.

Advertisement
-

That flood of news about Tesla, which focuses mostly on the consistently buoyant projections from Musk himself, is what keeps the company’s stock price high. People aren’t buying today’s performance. They are buying the future. If you believe everything Elon Musk is saying, that future looks very bright indeed.

Source: Bloomberg, Photo credit: Electric Jen

"I write about technology and the coming zero emissions revolution."

Advertisement
Comments

News

Tesla Cybercab launch gets official date in Austin with dedicated event

Published

on

Credit: TechOperator | X

Tesla Cybercab is set to launch in Austin, Texas, on September 3, as the company has officially started sending out invitations to a dedicated event it will hold in the city where its headquarters is located.

The Cybercab is Tesla’s dedicated ride-sharing vehicle: it features just two seats and has no steering wheel or pedals. It is aimed at fully autonomous passenger transport, and will operate in the Robotaxi fleet alongside the Tesla Model Y, which has been performing driverless rides for real-world passengers for more than a year.

The launch of the Cybercab marks the next chapter in Tesla’s autonomy story. The company has been developing autonomous transport for years with its Full Self-Driving (Supervised) platform, which is available in any vehicle the company has built with the proper hardware and software capabilities.

Its capabilities vary by hardware and software version, but Tesla says its latest hardware version, known as AI4, can deliver full autonomy. However, future vehicles will operate with even more robust hardware packages, as Tesla will develop AI4.5 and AI5 for even more capability in its vehicles.

Following a report from The Information that surfaced earlier this week, the writing was on the wall that Tesla was set to launch Cybercab in the near term. The report stated Tesla could launch Cybercab as soon as the end of August. Tesla came close and has booked it for September 3.

Tesla Cybercab launch preparations have begun

The big thing with this event being scheduled is not necessarily that Tesla is launching a new vehicle, but instead that it is launching a vehicle that has no steering wheel or pedals and will operate exclusively on a self-driving program that is evidently nearing full autonomy. If the event allows vehicles to take passengers on public roads and drop them off wherever they please within the City of Austin, it will be a drastic advancement in the company’s self-driving story.

People have ridden in Cybercab previously: Tesla had the “We, Robot” event in October 2024, which allowed people to experience fully autonomous rides in a closed circuit at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank.

Advertisement
-

Additionally, Tesla launched employee rides in Cybercab in July.

It’s a drastic step forward for Tesla, whose CEO, Elon Musk, has promised for years that the company would release a fully autonomous vehicle and platform capable of allowing drivers to relinquish any responsibility behind the wheel.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

SpaceX and a new Trump order that could rewrite the next decade of launches

Published

on

By

Elon Musk put a number on where he thinks SpaceX’s Starship program is headed by 2030, replying on X a day after President Trump signed a memo pushing the country toward 1,000 space launches and reentries a year.

The exchange started when Aaron Burnett, co-founder of propulsion startup Mach 33, posted that “1,000 launches/reentries is the goal,” quoting White House science adviser Michael Kratsios on the newly signed National Space Transportation Policy. Burnett noted that the FAA’s own bull-case forecast reached only 385 annual launches by 2030, while his firm’s conservative model already put SpaceX alone near 940. Musk responded, “We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized. Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!”

That figure is specific to Starship, the rocket SpaceX is still developing for orbital and lunar missions, not the Falcon 9 fleet that carries most of the company’s current launch volume. Starship has flown twice this year, a slower pace than the four and five flights SpaceX managed in 2024 and 2025. Getting from two flights a year to 30 a day is the scale of jump the new federal policy is meant to clear regulatory room for.

Trump’s memo, signed Thursday, directs agencies to identify new launch and reentry sites on federal land, including a new reentry site within 90 days, and to speed up the permitting and environmental reviews that have long slowed cadence growth. It also sets a goal of returning American astronauts to the moon by 2028 and placing initial lunar base elements by 2030, tying the launch buildout directly to NASA’s Artemis program.

SpaceX has already been pushing the FAA toward higher numbers on its own. The agency approved up to 44 annual Starship launches from Kennedy Space Center in February, on top of a 2024 review that raised the cap at Starbase in Texas to 25 a year. Those approvals cover a fraction of the 10,000 annual flights Musk is now describing, which shows how far current permitting still sits from the administration’s stated target.

The near-term test of all this is more modest. SpaceX cleared a full-duration, six-engine static fire on its next Starship vehicle this week, the last major hardware checkpoint before Flight 14, which is targeting no earlier than August 28 and is expected to attempt the vehicle’s first full orbital mission. Musk said last week that a tower catch of the upper stage is still probably months away, a reminder that the immediate roadmap remains far more incremental than the daily launch numbers he just posted.

Advertisement
-
Continue Reading

News

Tesla will resolve massive China recall with stickers and a software update

Published

on

tesla frozen door handle
Credit: YouTube | HMKARKI

Tesla will resolve its massive recall of nearly three million vehicles in China with stickers and a software update.

On Friday, Chinese regulators filed recall plans against Tesla, Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng, Chery, Geely, Dongfeng, Arcfox, and FAW to resolve what is essentially a carbon-copy issue throughout each of the companies’ vehicle models: emergency door release latches are simply not visible enough.

Tesla door handle saga gets its latest chapter and a big change is coming

The companies will be required to add things that will make these latches, which will open the door in the event of an emergency, more visible. Of the 7 million vehicles impacted, Tesla accounts for 2,975,910 units. More than 1.9 million of those are Model Y vehicles, with the rest, just over 970,000, being Model 3s.

To resolve the issue, Tesla is going to add warning labels to the emergency latches free of charge, and then utilize an Over-the-Air update to add a post-crash window-lowering strategy, according to CNEVpost.

This massive effort to fix the all-electric Model Y and Model 3’s emergency latch system comes just months after several probes across various markets identified the trouble some had identifying this latch. Those who had gotten involved in car accidents that stripped the vehicle of its power were not aware that every Tesla has emergency door latches.

China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) said that severe crashes that disable a vehicle’s low-voltage system could not only hinder occupants from getting out, but also make it more difficult for emergency response workers to gain entry.

SAMR is starting to tighten the regulations it has on door handles on vehicles. A new mandatory national standard will take effect for all models starting January 1, 2027, and will require all doors to be equipped with mechanical release mechanisms. This will effectively end purely electronic door handles. Models already on sale with type approval have been granted a two-year transition period, which will enable things to change until January 2029.

Continue Reading