Connect with us

News

Tesla owner shares insights after Model 3 protects him from violent high-speed crash

(Credit: Tobias Frey/Twitter)

Published

on

A Tesla Model 3 owner recently walked away from a frightening accident in Germany, and he credits his Tesla Model 3 Performance‘s 5-star Safety Rating for helping him escape the incident with only minor injuries.

Tobias Frey, a 33-year old German resident, was driving on Motorway A5 in Karlsruhe, Germany when suddenly, a 16,500-lb truck approached the left side of his Model 3 Performance and slammed into the rear door at near highway speed. The violence of the collision slammed Frey’s car up against a traffic light.

Luckily, Frey was alone in the car and despite the gravity of the accident, he sustained only minor injuries. “I have issues with my neck, some little cuts on my shoulder from the broken glass, some bruises at the neck, belly, backbone and my knee,” he said in a message to Teslarati.

Instead of putting a harsh message on social media, Frey took to Twitter to thank Tesla and its CEO Elon Musk. “Thanks Elon Musk and Tesla for building such a strong car,” Frey said.

Along with the words of appreciation to the Silicon Valley-based car manufacturer and its CEO, Frey uploaded four photos and dashcam footage, showing the crash between the two vehicles. “The airbags did a very good job,” Frey said, “and I am happy it didn’t catch fire, because of the strong architecture from the car”. Frey added that Tesla called him and left a message to see how he was feeling.

With Frey being able to leave the accident with only scrapes and bruises, Tesla has put their money where their mouth is by proving, once again, that their vehicles live up to their high crash-test rating. Although Tesla vehicles didn’t crash enough to make it onto a Swedish insurance firm’s “Safest Car List,” the recent crash does indicate once more that the electric car maker’s vehicles are built with safety in mind.

Advertisement
-

Frey added that he will definitely be buying a new car after this accident. When asked what his choice will be, he replied, “Again a Model 3 Performance.”

Thanks to their all-electric construction, Tesla’s electric vehicles are capable of weathering high-speed crashes that would potentially be fatal in other vehicles. An example of this happened earlier this year when a Tesla Model S was involved in a violent collision with a runaway car at the tunnels of Vallvidrera in Barcelona, Spain. A surveillance video of the incident showed the Model S absorbing the impact of the massive crash, which caused the other vehicle to bounce off against the adjacent lane’s wall. Just seconds after the impact, the Model S driver could be seen exiting the all-electric sedan, dazed but otherwise unharmed.

Joey has been a journalist covering electric mobility at TESLARATI since August 2019. In his spare time, Joey is playing golf, watching MMA, or cheering on any of his favorite sports teams, including the Baltimore Ravens and Orioles, Miami Heat, Washington Capitals, and Penn State Nittany Lions. You can get in touch with joey at joey@teslarati.com. He is also on X @KlenderJoey. If you're looking for great Tesla accessories, check out shop.teslarati.com

Advertisement
Comments

Elon Musk

Elon Musk gives a timeline for SpaceX’s first Starship catch attempt

Published

on

SpaceX Starship V3 from Starbase, Texas on April 14, 2026

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announced today that the company will likely attempt to catch the Starship upper stage with its launch tower arms “in a few months.”

In a post on X, Musk wrote, “Looks like we will probably catch the ship with the tower in a few months. If there had been a tower out to sea where we practiced landing the ship, it would have been caught.” He added that the first reflight of a Starship vehicle is expected by the end of 2026 or early 2027, describing it as “a fork in the road of history for consciousness reaching the stars.”

Musk’s prediction comes amid ongoing progress toward full reusability of the Starship system, a two-stage rocket designed for rapid turnaround and dramatically lower launch costs. Catching the upper stage, known simply as “ship,” with the Mechazilla tower’s mechanical arms would mark a major milestone. It would allow both stages to return directly to the launch site for quick refurbishment and reuse, eliminating the need for ocean recovery.

Musk has previously signaled plans for a ship catch. In July, shortly after SpaceX’s wildly successful Starship 13 mission, he stated that the company would attempt to catch the ship with the tower on the next flight unless problems emerged in the mission data review. Earlier comments also outline conditions such as successful soft ocean landings before attempting a land recovery to minimize risk.

SpaceX has solved Starship’s biggest challenge, Elon Musk says

The latest update from Musk adjusts this timeline to a few months, reflecting the iterative nature of the test campaign.

SpaceX has already demonstrated the tower catch technique successfully with the Super Heavy booster on a couple of occasions. The first successful booster catch occurred during Flight 5 in October 2024, when the massive first stage returned to the Starbase pad in Texas and was plucked from the air by the tower arms.

Advertisement
-

Additional catches followed on later flights, including Flight 7, proving the concept for the booster and building confidence in the system as a whole.

Achieving a similar catch for the upper stage would represent a significant step forward. The ship returns from much higher speeds and greater heat loads after orbital or near-orbital flight. Success would advance SpaceX’s goal of full and rapid reusability, potentially reducing the cost of access to orbit by a factor of 100 or more and supporting ambitions for frequent satellite deployments, lunar missions, and eventual Mars flights.

Musk has long emphasized that true reusability, refueling rather than discarding hardware, is essential for making humanity a multi-planetary species.

As SpaceX continues refining Starship through successive test flights, the coming months will test whether the ambitious catch timeline can be met. The combination of prior booster successes and improving ship landing precision suggests the company is steadily closing in on this historic capability.

Continue Reading

News

SpaceX achieves incredible milestone with Starlink program

Published

on

Credit: SpaceX

SpaceX has achieved an incredible milestone by launching its 11,000th Starlink satellite into orbit.

This accomplishment occurred during the Starlink Group 17-50 mission, which lifted off on August 19 at 04:01 UTC from Space Launch Complex 4 East at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.

A Falcon 9 rocket carried 24 Starlink V2 Mini satellites on this flight, successfully deploying them into low Earth orbit approximately one hour after liftoff. The first stage booster, identified as B1097 on its twelfth flight, landed successfully on the droneship Of Course I Still Love You in the Pacific Ocean.

According to tracking data compiled around that date, this deployment brought the total number of Starlink satellites in orbit to just over 11,000.

The Starlink program began with test satellites known as Tintin A and B, launched on February 22, 2018. The first operational batch of 60 Starlink satellites followed on May 24, 2019, when a Falcon 9 rocket lifted off from Cape Canaveral. Those initial satellites marked the start of a rapid expansion that has continued for more than seven years.

SpaceX has conducted hundreds of dedicated Starlink missions since then, routinely launching batches of 20 to 30 satellites at a time using reusable Falcon 9 rockets. By mid-2026, the company had already surpassed 12,000 total satellites launched across all versions, with continuous replacements for units that deorbit as designed to manage space debris.

Looking ahead, SpaceX continues to expand the Starlink constellation to enhance global broadband coverage, capacity, and speed. The network already serves millions of users across more than 160 countries and supports applications ranging from residential internet to maritime, aviation, and emergency services.

Future plans center on next-generation hardware, including larger V3 satellites capable of delivering substantially higher throughput, which require the increased payload capacity of the Starship vehicle currently under development and testing.

Advertisement
-

In July, SpaceX submitted an application to the Federal Communications Commission seeking authority for a Gen3 constellation of up to 100,000 satellites. These spacecraft would operate in very low Earth orbit shells at altitudes near 325 kilometers and 475 kilometers. The filing requests use of existing Ku, Ka, V, and E band spectrum along with new greenfield W and D band frequencies between 92 and 275 GHz.

SpaceX states that the expanded system aims to deliver multi-gigabit symmetrical broadband to consumers, enterprises, governments, and billions of AI-powered devices worldwide while handling a majority of global internet traffic. Approval and subsequent deployment would depend on regulatory review and the operational readiness of Starship for high-volume launches.

This ambitious scale reflects SpaceX’s ongoing commitment to providing ubiquitous high-speed connectivity from space.

Continue Reading

News

Tesla is opening Cybercab rides to a select few

Published

on

Credit: Tesla

Tesla has opened a new sweepstakes to allow the public to be among the first to take an initial ride in a Cybercab. This all-electric, steering-wheel-less, pedal-less vehicle is the centerpiece of the company’s autonomous ride-hailing platform, Robotaxi.

There are two ways Tesla fans can get to Austin to take part in the first public rides of the Cybercab: by riding on the Robotaxi platform by August 23, or by mailing a very specific entry to their Headquarters at Gigafactory Texas.

Tesla announced the latter portion of the sweepstakes last night:

Tesla will give one entry into the sweepstakes if you mail a 3″ by 5″ piece of paper with your full name, mailing address, telephone number, email address, and date of birth to their address:

Tesla, Robotaxi Sweeps Event

Advertisement
-

1 Tesla Road,

Austin, TX 78725

There is a limit of one entry per stamped envelope. You can send as many as you’d like, but they must be in separate envelopes.

The company’s unique strategy to give people the opportunity to ride in a Cybercab before pretty much anyone else outside of the company is a hilarious but spot-on representation of how Tesla operates. In classic fashion, they had the perfect response to the event:

Cybercab will launch later this month, it appears, especially as it plans to announce the winners of the sweepstakes on August 25. The car has already been operating internally, as employees have been able to utilize the Cybercab for rides in some capacity, something it announced earlier this month.

Tesla weirdly confirms Cybercab employee rides, a huge milestone

Moving forward, the big goal is to get Cybercab out on the roads and integrated into the public Robotaxi fleet, one that will pick up real-world ride-hailers and give them a ride from Point A to Point B.

No matter which way you cut it, it appears Tesla is close to putting a vehicle with no steering wheel and no pedals on the road to help people travel autonomously.

Advertisement
-

You can ride along with us in our first Cybercab ride from the We, Robot event in October 2024. The video is embedded below:

Continue Reading