News
Tesla Supercharging times have reduced by one-third in just five years
Tesla Supercharging times have reduced by one-third in just five years, the company said, as its efforts to alleviate false narratives related to elongated charging sessions have improved thanks to technological advancements.
Tesla’s Supercharger Network is already the most robust in the industry, and its tech is arguably the best out there. In terms of dependability, we seldom hear that a Tesla Supercharger is out of order, and if it is, it could be due to routine service or updates.
RELATED:
Tesla declines funding to build massive Superchargers due to payment options
Other EV charging companies have not been able to match the expansion or dependability of Tesla’s Superchargers, and it’s one of the key reasons consumers flock to its vehicles over competitors.
Tesla revealed this morning that its Supercharging times had been reduced by 30 percent over the past five years, and this is despite the mass adoption of EVs over that time.
The Model 3 was introduced just one year earlier and basically triggered Tesla into the hypothetical stratosphere in terms of becoming the first brand to truly offer a widely affordable and effective electric model. Of course, there were precursors before it, like the Chevrolet Bolt, for example.
Tesla defined six main reasons for its reduction in Supercharger times:
- Transition to the V3 Supercharger
- Efficient Routing with Trip Planner
- Supercharger Density Increasing
- Vehicle Efficiency
- Battery Pre-Heating
- Customer Education
These six factors have all contributed to the reduction in Supercharging times in different ways.
Over the last 5 years, we’ve unlocked 30% faster charge times through a combination of hardware, software & customer education pic.twitter.com/FZFoS85pBN
— Tesla (@Tesla) March 14, 2023
The V3 Superchargers were unveiled in 2019 and enabled charging speeds of up to 250 kW, or 1,000 miles of range in an hour, but only in ideal conditions. This alone has contributed to shorter wait times, but there are a variety of other factors that Tesla seems to believe were more crucial.
Tesla is already moving past V3 and moving to V4, which will be even faster than the previous iteration of Supercharger. The first installations are already underway in Europe and seem to support the introduction of non-Tesla EV charging with longer cables.
Tesla V4 Superchargers unveiled in Europe, could launch this month
Tesla emphasized the importance of the Trip Planner, which has helped cut wait times in half since 2019, the automaker said.
Using real-time vehicle & site data, Trip Planner routes vehicles to available sites & away from crowded sites.
This has helped cut wait time in half since 2019! pic.twitter.com/NS9foC0Fkl
— Tesla (@Tesla) March 14, 2023
The Trip Planner feature helps drivers visit Superchargers along a route that would help them get from Point A to Point B in the most efficient manner possible.
This doesn’t require elongated waits at Superchargers but relatively short stints at various charging stations that help make a drive faster and wait times less of a hassle.
Tesla has also placed a distinct focus on expanding the Supercharger Network over the past several years and expanded from 31,498 connectors in 2021 to 42,419 in 2022, a 35 percent increase.
Other tech has undoubtedly contributed to the reduction in Supercharger times, but the important thing is that the misconceptions regarding EV charging are being debunked.
While it is still not a five or ten-minute task to charge an EV in today’s age, there is also the option of Home Charging, which gives people the option to wake up every morning to a full charge.
I’d love to hear from you! If you have any comments, concerns, or questions, please email me at joey@teslarati.com. You can also reach me on Twitter @KlenderJoey, or if you have news tips, you can email us at tips@teslarati.com.
News
Tesla will launch Cybercab on September 3
Tesla Cybercab is set to launch in Austin, Texas, on September 3, as the company has officially started sending out invitations to a dedicated event it will hold in the city where its headquarters is located.
The Cybercab is Tesla’s dedicated ride-sharing vehicle: it features just two seats and has no steering wheel or pedals. It is aimed at fully autonomous passenger transport, and will operate in the Robotaxi fleet alongside the Tesla Model Y, which has been performing driverless rides for real-world passengers for more than a year.
Thank you so much @Tesla for inviting us to the Cybercab launch in Austin! 🤠 pic.twitter.com/F1rAR8zd5O
— TESLARATI (@Teslarati) August 22, 2026
The launch of the Cybercab marks the next chapter in Tesla’s autonomy story. The company has been developing autonomous transport for years with its Full Self-Driving (Supervised) platform, which is available in any vehicle the company has built with the proper hardware and software capabilities.
Its capabilities vary by hardware and software version, but Tesla says its latest hardware version, known as AI4, can deliver full autonomy. However, future vehicles will operate with even more robust hardware packages, as Tesla will develop AI4.5 and AI5 for even more capability in its vehicles.
Following a report from The Information that surfaced earlier this week, the writing was on the wall that Tesla was set to launch Cybercab in the near term. The report stated Tesla could launch Cybercab as soon as the end of August. Tesla came close and has booked it for September 3.
The big thing with this event being scheduled is not necessarily that Tesla is launching a new vehicle, but instead that it is launching a vehicle that has no steering wheel or pedals and will operate exclusively on a self-driving program that is evidently nearing full autonomy. If the event allows vehicles to take passengers on public roads and drop them off wherever they please within the City of Austin, it will be a drastic advancement in the company’s self-driving story.
People have ridden in Cybercab previously: Tesla had the “We, Robot” event in October 2024, which allowed people to experience fully autonomous rides in a closed circuit at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank.
🚨 Ride in a Tesla Cybercab with us
— TESLARATI (@Teslarati) May 11, 2025
Additionally, Tesla launched employee rides in Cybercab in July.
It’s a drastic step forward for Tesla, whose CEO, Elon Musk, has promised for years that the company would release a fully autonomous vehicle and platform capable of allowing drivers to relinquish any responsibility behind the wheel.
Elon Musk
SpaceX and a new Trump order that could rewrite the next decade of launches
Elon Musk put a number on where he thinks SpaceX’s Starship program is headed by 2030, replying on X a day after President Trump signed a memo pushing the country toward 1,000 space launches and reentries a year.
The exchange started when Aaron Burnett, co-founder of propulsion startup Mach 33, posted that “1,000 launches/reentries is the goal,” quoting White House science adviser Michael Kratsios on the newly signed National Space Transportation Policy. Burnett noted that the FAA’s own bull-case forecast reached only 385 annual launches by 2030, while his firm’s conservative model already put SpaceX alone near 940. Musk responded, “We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized. Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!”
We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized.
Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 21, 2026
That figure is specific to Starship, the rocket SpaceX is still developing for orbital and lunar missions, not the Falcon 9 fleet that carries most of the company’s current launch volume. Starship has flown twice this year, a slower pace than the four and five flights SpaceX managed in 2024 and 2025. Getting from two flights a year to 30 a day is the scale of jump the new federal policy is meant to clear regulatory room for.
Trump’s memo, signed Thursday, directs agencies to identify new launch and reentry sites on federal land, including a new reentry site within 90 days, and to speed up the permitting and environmental reviews that have long slowed cadence growth. It also sets a goal of returning American astronauts to the moon by 2028 and placing initial lunar base elements by 2030, tying the launch buildout directly to NASA’s Artemis program.
SpaceX has already been pushing the FAA toward higher numbers on its own. The agency approved up to 44 annual Starship launches from Kennedy Space Center in February, on top of a 2024 review that raised the cap at Starbase in Texas to 25 a year. Those approvals cover a fraction of the 10,000 annual flights Musk is now describing, which shows how far current permitting still sits from the administration’s stated target.
The near-term test of all this is more modest. SpaceX cleared a full-duration, six-engine static fire on its next Starship vehicle this week, the last major hardware checkpoint before Flight 14, which is targeting no earlier than August 28 and is expected to attempt the vehicle’s first full orbital mission. Musk said last week that a tower catch of the upper stage is still probably months away, a reminder that the immediate roadmap remains far more incremental than the daily launch numbers he just posted.
News
Tesla will resolve massive China recall with stickers and a software update
Tesla will resolve its massive recall of nearly three million vehicles in China with stickers and a software update.
On Friday, Chinese regulators filed recall plans against Tesla, Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng, Chery, Geely, Dongfeng, Arcfox, and FAW to resolve what is essentially a carbon-copy issue throughout each of the companies’ vehicle models: emergency door release latches are simply not visible enough.
Tesla door handle saga gets its latest chapter and a big change is coming
The companies will be required to add things that will make these latches, which will open the door in the event of an emergency, more visible. Of the 7 million vehicles impacted, Tesla accounts for 2,975,910 units. More than 1.9 million of those are Model Y vehicles, with the rest, just over 970,000, being Model 3s.
To resolve the issue, Tesla is going to add warning labels to the emergency latches free of charge, and then utilize an Over-the-Air update to add a post-crash window-lowering strategy, according to CNEVpost.
This massive effort to fix the all-electric Model Y and Model 3’s emergency latch system comes just months after several probes across various markets identified the trouble some had identifying this latch. Those who had gotten involved in car accidents that stripped the vehicle of its power were not aware that every Tesla has emergency door latches.
China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) said that severe crashes that disable a vehicle’s low-voltage system could not only hinder occupants from getting out, but also make it more difficult for emergency response workers to gain entry.
SAMR is starting to tighten the regulations it has on door handles on vehicles. A new mandatory national standard will take effect for all models starting January 1, 2027, and will require all doors to be equipped with mechanical release mechanisms. This will effectively end purely electronic door handles. Models already on sale with type approval have been granted a two-year transition period, which will enable things to change until January 2029.