Connect with us

News

US ranks 9th in list of countries ready for an AI-enhanced workforce

[Credit: Quartz]

Published

on

A new study published by Switzerland-based ABB Group has determined that the United States is lacking in terms of AI and automation readiness, at least when compared to other developed nations. Among a list of 25 countries, the US ranked 9th overall, almost dropping out of the study’s Top 10 list despite being an early adopter of artificial intelligence.

ABB opted to rank the different countries in its study using its Automation Readiness Index, which determines which nations are putting in the effort to ensure that its workforce is prepared for an AI-powered, automated future. The countries that were part of the study were evaluated according to three main categories — innovation environment, school policies, and public workforce development. While the United States scored well in the first category, it lagged in school policies and workforce development. South Korea, Singapore, Germany, Japan and Canada rounded up the Top 5 of the ABB’s rankings.

As noted in a report from The Next Web, a good reason behind the United States’ poor rankings in the ABB study could be due to the country’s outdated school system and its sluggish regulatory environment. So far, America still adopts a rather traditional approach to teaching, emphasizing rote memory and theoretical knowledge at times and hammering the notion that the path towards success is attained exclusively through a college degree.

In contrast, several of the countries in the Automation Readiness Index’s Top 5 — Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, specifically — have all adapted their school curriculum for emerging technologies, teaching in-demand skills and prioritizing STEM since early education. Thus, while American students are still memorizing dates and learning how to type, their counterparts in Japan would already be learning about computer science and dabbling in robotics. Germany is adopting a similar strategy too, allowing students to serve in apprenticeships straight out of high school.

In a statement to the Los Angeles Times, Susan Lund, a labor economist at global consulting firm McKinsey, noted that with the advent of AI and workplace automation, not everyone needs to have a college degree to thrive.

“Not everyone needs a four-year college degree. We could do a lot to build more career pathways. Even just skill-credentialing to enable people to get a basic, entry-level job,” she said.

As for automation readiness, Lorenzo Fioramonti, professor of political economy at the University of Pretoria in South Africa, noted in a statement that the workforce of tomorrow would have to be adaptable, considering the quick improvements in the AI and automation industry.

“The major difference with the past is that today’s automation technologies are highly intelligent and able to learn,” he said.

While AI is used for technologies like weapons and surveillance systems, artificial intelligence and machine learning are already being integrated into everyday life. AR filters in social media, automatic translators in Google, and captioning algorithms in YouTube, for example, all utilize AI and machine learning. Unfortunately for the United States, it appears like it would be a while before it starts producing workers that are fully trained to thrive in the AI revolution.

Simon is an experienced automotive reporter with a passion for electric cars and clean energy. Fascinated by the world envisioned by Elon Musk, he hopes to make it to Mars (at least as a tourist) someday. For stories or tips--or even to just say a simple hello--send a message to his email, simon@teslarati.com or his handle on X, @ResidentSponge.

Advertisement
Comments

News

Tesla will launch Cybercab on September 3

Published

on

Credit: TechOperator | X

Tesla Cybercab is set to launch in Austin, Texas, on September 3, as the company has officially started sending out invitations to a dedicated event it will hold in the city where its headquarters is located.

The Cybercab is Tesla’s dedicated ride-sharing vehicle: it features just two seats and has no steering wheel or pedals. It is aimed at fully autonomous passenger transport, and will operate in the Robotaxi fleet alongside the Tesla Model Y, which has been performing driverless rides for real-world passengers for more than a year.

The launch of the Cybercab marks the next chapter in Tesla’s autonomy story. The company has been developing autonomous transport for years with its Full Self-Driving (Supervised) platform, which is available in any vehicle the company has built with the proper hardware and software capabilities.

Its capabilities vary by hardware and software version, but Tesla says its latest hardware version, known as AI4, can deliver full autonomy. However, future vehicles will operate with even more robust hardware packages, as Tesla will develop AI4.5 and AI5 for even more capability in its vehicles.

Following a report from The Information that surfaced earlier this week, the writing was on the wall that Tesla was set to launch Cybercab in the near term. The report stated Tesla could launch Cybercab as soon as the end of August. Tesla came close and has booked it for September 3.

Tesla Cybercab launch preparations have begun

The big thing with this event being scheduled is not necessarily that Tesla is launching a new vehicle, but instead that it is launching a vehicle that has no steering wheel or pedals and will operate exclusively on a self-driving program that is evidently nearing full autonomy. If the event allows vehicles to take passengers on public roads and drop them off wherever they please within the City of Austin, it will be a drastic advancement in the company’s self-driving story.

People have ridden in Cybercab previously: Tesla had the “We, Robot” event in October 2024, which allowed people to experience fully autonomous rides in a closed circuit at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank.

Advertisement
-

Additionally, Tesla launched employee rides in Cybercab in July.

It’s a drastic step forward for Tesla, whose CEO, Elon Musk, has promised for years that the company would release a fully autonomous vehicle and platform capable of allowing drivers to relinquish any responsibility behind the wheel.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

SpaceX and a new Trump order that could rewrite the next decade of launches

Published

on

By

Elon Musk put a number on where he thinks SpaceX’s Starship program is headed by 2030, replying on X a day after President Trump signed a memo pushing the country toward 1,000 space launches and reentries a year.

The exchange started when Aaron Burnett, co-founder of propulsion startup Mach 33, posted that “1,000 launches/reentries is the goal,” quoting White House science adviser Michael Kratsios on the newly signed National Space Transportation Policy. Burnett noted that the FAA’s own bull-case forecast reached only 385 annual launches by 2030, while his firm’s conservative model already put SpaceX alone near 940. Musk responded, “We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized. Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!”

That figure is specific to Starship, the rocket SpaceX is still developing for orbital and lunar missions, not the Falcon 9 fleet that carries most of the company’s current launch volume. Starship has flown twice this year, a slower pace than the four and five flights SpaceX managed in 2024 and 2025. Getting from two flights a year to 30 a day is the scale of jump the new federal policy is meant to clear regulatory room for.

Trump’s memo, signed Thursday, directs agencies to identify new launch and reentry sites on federal land, including a new reentry site within 90 days, and to speed up the permitting and environmental reviews that have long slowed cadence growth. It also sets a goal of returning American astronauts to the moon by 2028 and placing initial lunar base elements by 2030, tying the launch buildout directly to NASA’s Artemis program.

SpaceX has already been pushing the FAA toward higher numbers on its own. The agency approved up to 44 annual Starship launches from Kennedy Space Center in February, on top of a 2024 review that raised the cap at Starbase in Texas to 25 a year. Those approvals cover a fraction of the 10,000 annual flights Musk is now describing, which shows how far current permitting still sits from the administration’s stated target.

The near-term test of all this is more modest. SpaceX cleared a full-duration, six-engine static fire on its next Starship vehicle this week, the last major hardware checkpoint before Flight 14, which is targeting no earlier than August 28 and is expected to attempt the vehicle’s first full orbital mission. Musk said last week that a tower catch of the upper stage is still probably months away, a reminder that the immediate roadmap remains far more incremental than the daily launch numbers he just posted.

Advertisement
-
Continue Reading

News

Tesla will resolve massive China recall with stickers and a software update

Published

on

tesla frozen door handle
Credit: YouTube | HMKARKI

Tesla will resolve its massive recall of nearly three million vehicles in China with stickers and a software update.

On Friday, Chinese regulators filed recall plans against Tesla, Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng, Chery, Geely, Dongfeng, Arcfox, and FAW to resolve what is essentially a carbon-copy issue throughout each of the companies’ vehicle models: emergency door release latches are simply not visible enough.

Tesla door handle saga gets its latest chapter and a big change is coming

The companies will be required to add things that will make these latches, which will open the door in the event of an emergency, more visible. Of the 7 million vehicles impacted, Tesla accounts for 2,975,910 units. More than 1.9 million of those are Model Y vehicles, with the rest, just over 970,000, being Model 3s.

To resolve the issue, Tesla is going to add warning labels to the emergency latches free of charge, and then utilize an Over-the-Air update to add a post-crash window-lowering strategy, according to CNEVpost.

This massive effort to fix the all-electric Model Y and Model 3’s emergency latch system comes just months after several probes across various markets identified the trouble some had identifying this latch. Those who had gotten involved in car accidents that stripped the vehicle of its power were not aware that every Tesla has emergency door latches.

China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) said that severe crashes that disable a vehicle’s low-voltage system could not only hinder occupants from getting out, but also make it more difficult for emergency response workers to gain entry.

SAMR is starting to tighten the regulations it has on door handles on vehicles. A new mandatory national standard will take effect for all models starting January 1, 2027, and will require all doors to be equipped with mechanical release mechanisms. This will effectively end purely electronic door handles. Models already on sale with type approval have been granted a two-year transition period, which will enable things to change until January 2029.

Continue Reading