Connect with us
Stellantis-employee-share-purchase-plan Stellantis-employee-share-purchase-plan

News

Dealers join the UAW in charging Stellantis with ‘reckless’ decisions

(Credit: Stellantis)

Published

on

The United Automotive Workers (UAW) has been threatening strikes at major plants run by multinational automaker Stellantis, and recent statements made by dealerships are echoing some of the union’s attacks on the company and CEO Carlos Tavares.

Many dealers joined the UAW in claiming that Tavares was mismanaging the U.S. arm of the Dodge-Chrysler parent company, causing increased inventory, job cuts, and broken promises to reopen an Illinois factory, as detailed in a report from Automotive News. Dealer groups claim that “reckless short-term decision-making to secure record profits in 2023” made them “anemic and diminished,”as market share has continued to decrease for the vehicle makers.

Advertisement

Florida, Michigan, and Ohio dealership owner Ralph Mahalak Jr. says Stellantis needs to establish higher incentive programs to help drive inventory down, echoing details included in at least two letters sent by the Stellantis National Dealer Council to Tavares since May. He also highlights how unprecedented the situation is for the automotive industry.

“We’ve never seen this before,” Mahalak said in a statement to Automotive News. “We don’t understand what’s going on. And how did we get in this predicament? How can, basically, Carlos Tavares have the shareholders mad at them, suppliers mad at them, the dealers mad at them?”

He also says that high interest rates have only exacerbated issues with inventory, noting that this time feels less stable than ever for his business. As Stellantis and much of the industry has attempted to transition to electric vehicles (EVs), the high costs and low early returns on the new tech have increased business concerns for dealers like Mahalak.

“I’ve never felt less in control of my business than I do today,” Mahalak adds. “I felt more in control of my business during the financial crisis. I felt more in control of my business during the microchip car shortage deal a few years ago, during COVID.”

Advertisement

Steven Wolf, owner of Helfman Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep-Ram-Fiat and Helfman Maserati of Houston, also echoed some of Mahalak’s arguments that incentive programs could help mend inventory woes.

“We’ve got to get through our current problem of too much inventory before we can start looking at ordering again,” Wolf said. “We’ve got to get the sales rate up until we can eat through this overage inventory, and then we can blow out a bunch of cars in 60 or 90 days, and we can get back to ordering normal again.”

The dealer council has also highlighted continued production needs, despite currently high levels of inventory, as a key part of increasing the automaker’s U.S. market share.

“It’s time to turn production back on and start selling our way back to a respectable market share,” the council said in a letter to Tavares dated September 10.

Advertisement

Following the initial letter, Tavares met with council leaders in Detroit, later hosting a follow-up phone call on September 12 after the council’s second letter.

In recent weeks, the UAW has been threatening multiple strikes at U.S. plants operated by Stellantis, due to allegations of labor issues and the failure of the company to hold up contract promises of reopening the retired factory in Belvidere, Illinois. Last Monday, the union officially submitted a federal filing claiming unfair labor practices at Stellantis, due to the alleged breach of a contract agreed upon following the 2023 strikes.

UAW President Shawn Fain said in a livestream last week that Stellantis was “violating its commitment to America,” with its recent mismanagement.

“[Fain] continues to willfully damage the reputation of the company with his public attacks, which is helpful to no one, including his members,” Stellantis said in a statement responding to the UAW President. “We would all be better served if these issues were addressed across the table with productive, respectful, and forward-looking dialogue. A strike does not benefit anyone.”

Advertisement

Stellantis rejects request to buy back Chrysler & Dodge brands

What are your thoughts? Let me know at zach@teslarati.com, find me on X at @zacharyvisconti, or send us tips at tips@teslarati.com.

Zach is a renewable energy reporter who has been covering electric vehicles since 2020. He grew up in Fremont, California, and he currently lives in Colorado. His work has appeared in the Chicago Tribune, KRON4 San Francisco, FOX31 Denver, InsideEVs, CleanTechnica, and many other publications. When he isn't covering Tesla or other EV companies, you can find him writing and performing music, drinking a good cup of coffee, or hanging out with his cats, Banks and Freddie. Reach out at zach@teslarati.com, find him on X at @zacharyvisconti, or send us tips at tips@teslarati.com.

Advertisement
Comments

Cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck’s newest trim will undergo massive change in ten days, Musk says

It appears as if the new All-Wheel-Drive trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Elon Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Published

on

(Credit: Tesla)

Tesla’s new Cybertruck trim has already gotten the axe from CEO Elon Musk, who said the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the all-electric pickup will only be available “for the next ten days.”

Musk could mean the price, which is $59,990, or the availability of the trim altogether.

Last night, Tesla launched the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, a pickup that comes in at less than $60,000 and features a competitive range and features that are not far off from the offerings of the premium trim.

Tesla launches new Cybertruck trim with more features than ever for a low price

Advertisement

It was a nice surprise from Tesla, considering that last year, it offered a Rear-Wheel-Drive trim of the Cybertruck that only lasted a few months. It had extremely underwhelming demand because it was only $10,000 cheaper than the next trim level up, and it was missing a significant number of premium features.

Simply put, it was not worth the money. Tesla killed the RWD Cybertruck just a few months after offering it.

With the news that Tesla was offering this All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, many fans and consumers were encouraged. The Cybertruck has been an underwhelming seller, and this seemed to be a lot of truck for the price when looking at its features:

  • Dual Motor AWD w/ est. 325 mi of range
  • Powered tonneau cover
  • Bed outlets (2x 120V + 1x 240V) & Powershare capability
  • Coil springs w/ adaptive damping
  • Heated first-row seats w/ textile material that is easy to clean
  • Steer-by-wire & Four Wheel Steering
  • 6’ x 4’ composite bed
  • Towing capacity of up to 7,500 lbs
  • Powered frunk

It appears as if this trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Musk could mean the price of the truck and not necessarily the ability to order it. However, most are taking it as a cancellation.

If it is, in fact, a short-term availability decision, it is baffling, especially as Tesla fans and analysts claim that metrics like quarterly deliveries are no longer important. This seems like a way to boost sales short-term, and if so many people are encouraged about this offering, why would it be kept around for such a short period of time?

Some are even considering the potential that Tesla axes the Cybertruck program as a whole. Although Musk said during the recent Q4 Earnings Call that Cybertruck would still be produced, the end of the Model S and Model X programs indicates Tesla might be prepared to do away with any low-volume vehicles that do not contribute to the company’s future visions of autonomy.

Advertisement

The decision to axe the car just ten days after making it available seems like a true head-scratcher.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

Elon Musk’s Neuralink sparks BCI race in China

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Published

on

Credit: Neuralink

Neuralink, founded by Elon Musk, is helping spark a surge of brain-computer interface (BCI) development in China, where startups are moving quickly into human trials with strong state backing. 

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Neuralink’s clinical work and public demonstrations have drawn worldwide attention to invasive brain implants that allow patients to control digital devices using their minds. The company is currently running a global clinical trial and is also busy preparing for its next product, Blindsight, which would restore vision to people with visual impairments.

Neuralink’s visibility has helped accelerate similar efforts in China. Beijing last year classified brain-computer interfaces as a strategic sector and issued a roadmap calling for two or three globally competitive companies by 2030, as per the Financial Times. Since February last year, at least 10 clinical trials for invasive brain chips have launched in the country.

Advertisement

NeuroXess recently reported that a paralyzed patient was able to control a computer cursor within five days of implantation. Founder Tiger Tao credited government support for helping shorten the path from research to trials.

Investment activity has followed the policy push. Industry data show dozens of financing rounds for Chinese BCI startups over the past year, reflecting rising capital interest in the field. Ultimately, while Neuralink remains one of the most closely watched players globally, its momentum has clearly energized competitors abroad.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Tesla Supercharger vandalized with frozen cables and anti-Musk imagery amid Sweden union dispute

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall.

Published

on

Credit: Tesla Charging/X

Tesla’s Supercharger site in Vansbro, Sweden, was vandalized during peak winter travel weeks. Images shared to local media showed frozen charging cables and a banner reading “Go home Elon,” which was complete with a graphic of Musk’s controversial gesture. 

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall, which has been striking against the company for more than two years over collective bargaining agreements, as noted in a report from Expressen.

Local resident Stefan Jakobsson said he arrived at the Vansbro charging station to find a board criticizing Elon Musk and accusing Tesla of strikebreaking. He also found the charging cables frozen after someone seemingly poured water over them.

“I laughed a little and it was pretty nicely drawn. But it was a bit unnecessary,” Jakobsson said. “They don’t have to do vandalism because they’re angry at Elon Musk.”

Advertisement

The site has seen heavy traffic during Sweden’s winter sports holidays, with travelers heading toward Sälen and other mountain destinations. Jakobsson said long lines formed last weekend, with roughly 50 Teslas and other EVs waiting to charge.

Tesla Superchargers in Sweden are typically open to other electric vehicle brands, making them a reliable option for all EV owners. 

Tesla installed a generator at the location after sympathy strikes from other unions disrupted power supply to some stations. The generator itself was reportedly not working on the morning of the incident, though it is unclear whether that was connected to the protest.

The dispute between Tesla and IF Metall centers on the company’s refusal to sign a collective agreement covering Swedish workers. The strike has drawn support from other unions, including Seko, which has taken steps affecting electricity supply to certain Tesla facilities. Tesla Sweden, for its part, has insisted that its workers are already fairly compensated and it does not need a collective agreement,

Advertisement

Jesper Pettersson, press spokesperson for IF Metall, criticized Tesla’s use of generators to keep charging stations running. Still, IF Metall emphasized that it strongly distances itself from the vandalism incident at the Vansbro Supercharger.

“We think it is remarkable that instead of taking the easy route and signing a collective agreement for our members, they are choosing to use every possible means to get around the strike,” Pettersson said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading