Connect with us
model-y-devil-devils-slide model-y-devil-devils-slide

News

Tesla driver suspected of driving off cliff pinned by wife’s statement, witnesses, and videos

Credit: ABC7 News Bay Area/YouTube

Published

on

While investigators have noted that the Tesla involved in the harrowing but miraculous crash at Devil’s Slide earlier this month is being probed for potential issues that may have caused the accident, a statement from one of the survivors, comments from motorists in the area, and footage from a nearby tunnel have pinned the incident on the vehicle’s driver. 

During the incident, a Tesla Model Y with a family of four — Radiologist Dharmesh Patel, his wife, Neha, and their two children — drove off Devil’s Slide in California. The all-electric vehicle dropped 250 feet before landing on its wheels on a dry portion of the beach. Rescuers who responded to the incident dubbed the survival of all the vehicle’s occupants a “miracle” since other motorists who fell in the same area were not as lucky to escape with their lives. 

As noted in a San Francisco Chronicle report, statements from the Model Y driver’s wife, comments from motorists driving in the area where the incident happened, and videos from the Tom Lantos Tunnel nearby have suggested that the incident was intentional. San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe noted that three counts of attempted murder charges had been filed against Patel. Charging documents included enhancements for domestic violence and actions that caused great bodily injuries.

“We do believe the evidence establishes the necessary intent to kill,” Wagstaffe said. 

The District Attorney noted that after Neha was hoisted by helicopter from the site of the crash, she talked with paramedics and provided incriminating statements about her husband. Motorists who were in the area when the incident happened also informed investigators that they observed no brake lights on the Tesla when it made a hard right and plunged off the cliff. 

Advertisement
-->

Wagstaffe, for his part, stated that his office is currently investigating the potential reasons behind the radiologist’s actions. “We’re looking into what led up to this. Was there depression or anything else? It wasn’t just that he was trying to kill them. He was trying to kill himself too,” the District Attorney said. 

While the investigation into the incident is ongoing, Wagstaffe noted that the Tesla Model Y was not in self-driving mode at the time of the incident. No videos, however, have been recovered from the vehicle. All four occupants were also belted in when the Tesla drove off the cliff. 

Dharmesh Patel appeared in court on Monday afternoon, and his attorney, Josh Bentley, asked for a delay until February 9. Judge Jeffrey Finigan granted Patel’s request, but he also granted the prosecution’s request that the Model Y driver not be offered bail to avoid “potential danger to family members.”

Don’t hesitate to contact us with news tips. Just send a message to simon@teslarati.com to give us a heads up.

Advertisement
-->

Simon is an experienced automotive reporter with a passion for electric cars and clean energy. Fascinated by the world envisioned by Elon Musk, he hopes to make it to Mars (at least as a tourist) someday. For stories or tips--or even to just say a simple hello--send a message to his email, simon@teslarati.com or his handle on X, @ResidentSponge.

Advertisement
Comments

News

Tesla’s most affordable car is coming to the Netherlands

The trim is expected to launch at €36,990, making it the most affordable Model 3 the Dutch market has seen in years.

Published

on

Tesla is preparing to introduce the Model 3 Standard to the Netherlands this December, as per information obtained by AutoWeek. The trim is expected to launch at €36,990, making it the most affordable Model 3 the Dutch market has seen in years. 

While Tesla has not formally confirmed the vehicle’s arrival, pricing reportedly comes from a reliable source, the publication noted.

Model 3 Standard lands in NL

The U.S. version of the Model 3 Standard provides a clear preview of what Dutch buyers can expect, such as a no-frills configuration that maintains the recognizable Model 3 look without stripping the car down to a bare interior. The panoramic glass roof is still there, the exterior design is unchanged, and Tesla’s central touchscreen-driven cabin layout stays intact.

Cost reductions come from targeted equipment cuts. The American variant uses fewer speakers, lacks ventilated front seats and heated rear seats, and swaps premium materials for cloth and textile-heavy surfaces. Performance is modest compared with the Premium models, with a 0–100 km/h sprint of about six seconds and an estimated WLTP range near 550 kilometers. 

Despite the smaller battery and simpler suspension, the Standard maintains the long-distance capability drivers have come to expect in a Tesla.

Advertisement
-->

Pricing strategy aligns with Dutch EV demand and taxation shifts

At €36,990, the Model 3 Standard fits neatly into Tesla’s ongoing lineup reshuffle. The current Model 3 RWD has crept toward €42,000, creating space for a more competitive entry-level option, and positioning the new Model 3 Standard comfortably below the €39,990 Model Y Standard.

The timing aligns with rising Dutch demand for affordable EVs as subsidies like SEPP fade and tax advantages for electric cars continue to wind down, EVUpdate noted. Buyers seeking a no-frills EV with solid range are then likely to see the new trim as a compelling alternative.

With the U.S. variant long established and the Model Y Standard already available in the Netherlands, the appearance of an entry-level Model 3 in the Dutch configurator seems like a logical next step.

Continue Reading

News

Tesla Model Y is still China’s best-selling premium EV through October

The premium-priced SUV outpaced rivals despite a competitive field, while the Model 3 also secured an impressive position.

Published

on

Credit: Grok Imagine

The Tesla Model Y led China’s top-selling pure electric vehicles in the 200,000–300,000 RMB segment through October 2025, as per Yiche data compiled from China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) figures.

The premium-priced SUV outpaced rivals despite a competitive field, while the Model 3 also secured an impressive position.

The Model Y is still unrivaled

The Model Y’s dominance shines in Yiche’s October report, topping the chart for vehicles priced between 200,000 and 300,000 RMB. With 312,331 units retailed from January through October, the all-electric crossover was China’s best-selling EV in the 200,000–300,000 RMB segment.

The Xiaomi SU7 is a strong challenger at No. 2 with 234,521 units, followed by the Tesla Model 3, which achieved 146,379 retail sales through October. The Model Y’s potentially biggest rival, the Xiaomi YU7, is currently at No. 4 with 80,855 retail units sold.

Efficiency kings

The Model 3 and Model Y recently claimed the top two spots in Autohome’s latest real-world energy-consumption test, outperforming a broad field of Chinese-market EVs under identical 120 km/h cruising conditions with 375 kg payload and fixed 24 °C cabin temperature. The Model 3 achieved 20.8 kWh/100 km while the Model Y recorded 21.8 kWh/100 km, reaffirming Tesla’s efficiency lead.

The results drew immediate attention from Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun, who publicly recognized Tesla’s advantage while pledging continued refinement for his brand’s lineup.

Advertisement
-->

“The Xiaomi SU7’s energy consumption performance is also very good; you can take a closer look. The fact that its test results are weaker than Tesla’s is partly due to objective reasons: the Xiaomi SU7 is a C-segment car, larger and with higher specifications, making it heavier and naturally increasing energy consumption. Of course, we will continue to learn from Tesla and further optimize its energy consumption performance!” Lei Jun wrote in a post on Weibo.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

SpaceX’s Starship program is already bouncing back from Booster 18 fiasco

Just over a week since Booster 18 met its untimely end, SpaceX is now busy stacking Booster 19, and at a very rapid pace, too. 

Published

on

Credit: SpaceX/X

SpaceX is already bouncing back from the fiasco that it experienced during Starship Booster 18’s initial tests earlier this month.

Just over a week since Booster 18 met its untimely end, SpaceX is now busy stacking Booster 19, and at a very rapid pace, too. 

Starship V3 Booster 19 is rising 

As per Starbase watchers on X, SpaceX rolled out the fourth aft section of Booster 19 to Starbase’s MegaBay this weekend, stacking it to reach 15 rings tall with just a few sections remaining. This marks the fastest booster assembly to date at four sections in five days. This is quite impressive, and it bodes well for SpaceX’s Starship V3 program, which is expected to be a notable step up from the V2 program, which was retired after a flawless Flight 11. 

Starship watcher TankWatchers noted the tempo on X, stating, “During the night the A4 section of Booster 19 rolled out to the MegaBay. With 4 sections in just 5 days, this is shaping up to be the fastest booster stack ever.” Fellow Starbase watcher TestFlight echoed the same sentiments. “Booster 19 is now 15 rings tall, with 3 aft sections remaining!” the space enthusiast wrote. 

Aggressive targets despite Booster 18 fiasco

SpaceX’s V3 program encountered a speed bump earlier this month when Booster 18, just one day after rolling out into the factory, experienced a major anomaly during gas system pressure testing at SpaceX’s Massey facility in Starbase, Texas. While no propellant was loaded, no engines were installed, and no one was injured in the incident, the unexpected end of Booster 18 sparked speculation that the Starship V3 program could face delays.

Advertisement
-->

Despite the Booster 18 fiasco, however, SpaceX announced that “Starship’s twelfth flight test remains targeted for the first quarter of 2026.” Elon Musk shared a similar timeline on X earlier this year, with the CEO stating that “ V3 is a massive upgrade from the current V2 and should be through production and testing by end of year, with heavy flight activity next year.”

Considering that Booster 19 seems to be moving through its production phases quickly, perhaps SpaceX’s Q1 2026 target for Flight 12 might indeed be more than feasible.

Continue Reading