Connect with us

News

Elon Musk’s Boring Company completes environmental assessment for D.C.-Maryland loop

Published

on

Elon Musk’s tunneling startup, aptly-named The Boring Company, has taken a step towards its proposed loop system in the East Coast. In an announcement on Wednesday, the Transportation Department stated that the project had completed its environmental assessment, a draft of which will be available for public comment for the next 45 days.

Provided that the proposed project gets approved, the Boring Company will construct a loop system for the D.C.-Maryland route. The loop will utilize autonomous electric vehicles that can transport passengers at speeds of up to 150 mph, roughly the same as the maximum speed of Amtrak’s Acela train that also serves the area. The tunneling startup notes that the East Coast tunnels will be compatible with hyperloop technology as well, which will allow commuters to travel at speeds of over 600 mph.

The Boring Company’s Proposed Alignment Map for the D.C.-Maryland loop. (Credit: The Boring Company)

The DOT’s new Non-Traditional and Emerging Transportation Technology Council, which is created to respond to projects like the loop system, will be studying the Boring Company’s proposed project. In a statement to Politico, the DOT noted that the council will be “reviewing the project closely to determine the scope of DOT’s safety oversight role.” The Federal Highway Administration, the National Park Service, and the Army Corps of Engineers are also cooperating on the loop’s review process.

Once complete, the loop system will comprise two 35-mile tunnels connecting Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland. The Boring Company notes that passengers should be able to travel from downtown D.C. to downtown Baltimore in around 15 minutes using the loop system. Proposed terminals for the project include stops in New York Avenue, northwest of D.C.’s Union Station, and in the Camden Yards area of downtown Baltimore.

A Potential Expansion Map for the D.C.-Maryland tunnel system. (Credit: The Boring Company)

The Boring Company is still a very young tunneling startup, but the company is already being tapped for several high-profile projects. Just recently, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu revealed that he had been in talks with Elon Musk about the possibility of utilizing the Boring Company’s technology to address traffic congestion in some areas of Israel. Back home in the United States, the tunneling startup is also making progress towards the construction of a series of underground tunnels that can carry passengers around the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) campus.

While The Boring Company’s projects might look like regular small tunnels to the layman, the startup has actually developed a notable amount of innovations that are capable of optimizing its tunneling activities. Among these is the upcoming deployment of Line-Storm, a next-generation tunnel boring machine (TBM) that employs both conventional and electric systems. Thanks to this setup, Line-Storm is expected to be capable of digging twice as fast as a conventional tunnel boring machine.

Advertisement

Simon is an experienced automotive reporter with a passion for electric cars and clean energy. Fascinated by the world envisioned by Elon Musk, he hopes to make it to Mars (at least as a tourist) someday. For stories or tips--or even to just say a simple hello--send a message to his email, simon@teslarati.com or his handle on X, @ResidentSponge.

Advertisement
Comments

Cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck’s newest trim will undergo massive change in ten days, Musk says

It appears as if the new All-Wheel-Drive trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Elon Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Published

on

(Credit: Tesla)

Tesla’s new Cybertruck trim has already gotten the axe from CEO Elon Musk, who said the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the all-electric pickup will only be available “for the next ten days.”

Musk could mean the price, which is $59,990, or the availability of the trim altogether.

Last night, Tesla launched the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, a pickup that comes in at less than $60,000 and features a competitive range and features that are not far off from the offerings of the premium trim.

Tesla launches new Cybertruck trim with more features than ever for a low price

It was a nice surprise from Tesla, considering that last year, it offered a Rear-Wheel-Drive trim of the Cybertruck that only lasted a few months. It had extremely underwhelming demand because it was only $10,000 cheaper than the next trim level up, and it was missing a significant number of premium features.

Simply put, it was not worth the money. Tesla killed the RWD Cybertruck just a few months after offering it.

With the news that Tesla was offering this All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, many fans and consumers were encouraged. The Cybertruck has been an underwhelming seller, and this seemed to be a lot of truck for the price when looking at its features:

  • Dual Motor AWD w/ est. 325 mi of range
  • Powered tonneau cover
  • Bed outlets (2x 120V + 1x 240V) & Powershare capability
  • Coil springs w/ adaptive damping
  • Heated first-row seats w/ textile material that is easy to clean
  • Steer-by-wire & Four Wheel Steering
  • 6’ x 4’ composite bed
  • Towing capacity of up to 7,500 lbs
  • Powered frunk

It appears as if this trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Musk could mean the price of the truck and not necessarily the ability to order it. However, most are taking it as a cancellation.

If it is, in fact, a short-term availability decision, it is baffling, especially as Tesla fans and analysts claim that metrics like quarterly deliveries are no longer important. This seems like a way to boost sales short-term, and if so many people are encouraged about this offering, why would it be kept around for such a short period of time?

Some are even considering the potential that Tesla axes the Cybertruck program as a whole. Although Musk said during the recent Q4 Earnings Call that Cybertruck would still be produced, the end of the Model S and Model X programs indicates Tesla might be prepared to do away with any low-volume vehicles that do not contribute to the company’s future visions of autonomy.

The decision to axe the car just ten days after making it available seems like a true head-scratcher.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

Elon Musk’s Neuralink sparks BCI race in China

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Published

on

Credit: Neuralink

Neuralink, founded by Elon Musk, is helping spark a surge of brain-computer interface (BCI) development in China, where startups are moving quickly into human trials with strong state backing. 

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Neuralink’s clinical work and public demonstrations have drawn worldwide attention to invasive brain implants that allow patients to control digital devices using their minds. The company is currently running a global clinical trial and is also busy preparing for its next product, Blindsight, which would restore vision to people with visual impairments.

Neuralink’s visibility has helped accelerate similar efforts in China. Beijing last year classified brain-computer interfaces as a strategic sector and issued a roadmap calling for two or three globally competitive companies by 2030, as per the Financial Times. Since February last year, at least 10 clinical trials for invasive brain chips have launched in the country.

Advertisement

NeuroXess recently reported that a paralyzed patient was able to control a computer cursor within five days of implantation. Founder Tiger Tao credited government support for helping shorten the path from research to trials.

Investment activity has followed the policy push. Industry data show dozens of financing rounds for Chinese BCI startups over the past year, reflecting rising capital interest in the field. Ultimately, while Neuralink remains one of the most closely watched players globally, its momentum has clearly energized competitors abroad.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Tesla Supercharger vandalized with frozen cables and anti-Musk imagery amid Sweden union dispute

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall.

Published

on

Credit: Tesla Charging/X

Tesla’s Supercharger site in Vansbro, Sweden, was vandalized during peak winter travel weeks. Images shared to local media showed frozen charging cables and a banner reading “Go home Elon,” which was complete with a graphic of Musk’s controversial gesture. 

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall, which has been striking against the company for more than two years over collective bargaining agreements, as noted in a report from Expressen.

Local resident Stefan Jakobsson said he arrived at the Vansbro charging station to find a board criticizing Elon Musk and accusing Tesla of strikebreaking. He also found the charging cables frozen after someone seemingly poured water over them.

“I laughed a little and it was pretty nicely drawn. But it was a bit unnecessary,” Jakobsson said. “They don’t have to do vandalism because they’re angry at Elon Musk.”

Advertisement

The site has seen heavy traffic during Sweden’s winter sports holidays, with travelers heading toward Sälen and other mountain destinations. Jakobsson said long lines formed last weekend, with roughly 50 Teslas and other EVs waiting to charge.

Tesla Superchargers in Sweden are typically open to other electric vehicle brands, making them a reliable option for all EV owners. 

Tesla installed a generator at the location after sympathy strikes from other unions disrupted power supply to some stations. The generator itself was reportedly not working on the morning of the incident, though it is unclear whether that was connected to the protest.

The dispute between Tesla and IF Metall centers on the company’s refusal to sign a collective agreement covering Swedish workers. The strike has drawn support from other unions, including Seko, which has taken steps affecting electricity supply to certain Tesla facilities. Tesla Sweden, for its part, has insisted that its workers are already fairly compensated and it does not need a collective agreement,

Advertisement

Jesper Pettersson, press spokesperson for IF Metall, criticized Tesla’s use of generators to keep charging stations running. Still, IF Metall emphasized that it strongly distances itself from the vandalism incident at the Vansbro Supercharger.

“We think it is remarkable that instead of taking the easy route and signing a collective agreement for our members, they are choosing to use every possible means to get around the strike,” Pettersson said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading