Tesla has updated the details for its latest Referral Program to include Model 3 Performance as a vehicle that’s eligible for incentives when purchased through a referral code. In addition, Tesla has extended free unlimited Supercharging to Model S and Model X purchases made between August 1 and September 16, which also includes Model 3 Performance.
With a new Referral Program in place, owners can give five of their referrals free unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a Model S, Model X, or Model 3 Performance. Vehicles purchased before September 16 would enjoy the full, unlimited fast-charging perk for the lifetime of the vehicle under its original ownership. After September 16, Tesla would be limiting unlimited Supercharging to one year for the Model S, Model X, and Model 3 Performance. The limits of the new Referral Program also indicate that all Model 3 Performance orders placed before August 1, 2018 would be given unlimited Supercharging, including vehicles not purchased through a referral code. This is the first time Model 3 buyers are being offered free use of the company’s global network of Superchargers.
Tesla has been rolling out a Referral Program for Model 3 owners over the past few months, though some owners were only able to receive their referral codes recently. Ultimately, the updated Referral Program features benefits designed specifically for the growing Model 3 community, but it also comes with a time limit. If the company does follow through and retires the program after September 16, it will only be a matter of time before new owners of Tesla’s vehicles, including its flagship Model S and X, would have to pay for Supercharging.
Tesla’s introduction of rewards directly linked to the Model 3 Performance appears to be the electric car maker’s latest way of upselling the vehicle to reservation holders. Considering that the company is pushing for profitability this third quarter, every order of the Model 3 Performance, which starts at $64,000, would likely help Tesla become profitable this Q3. The Model 3, after all, has been found to the profitable, with a recent teardown and analysis of the vehicle from Detroit veteran Sandy Munro revealing that the electric car’s Long Range RWD variant exceeds 30% profit. The Model 3 Performance, being priced higher, would most likely give Tesla even more.
Apart from the introduction of free unlimited Supercharging to the Model 3 Performance, Tesla’s updated Referral Program still features much of the same perks as before. The following is a breakdown of referral awards for participating Tesla owners.
1 to 2 Qualifying Referrals
- Signature Black Wall Connector – This item is only available under the Referral Program. Shipping started in July 2018.
- Founders Series Tesla Model S for Kids – This item is a miniature version of the Tesla Model S, complete with working headlights, a sound system, and even a working charge port. Anecdotes from the Tesla community note that the large box of the Model S for Kids fits perfectly at the back of the family sedan with the rear seats folded down.
3 Qualifying Referrals
- Early Access Token for Solar Roof – Customers who opt for this perk would get early access and priority scheduling for Solar Roof installations, which already begun earlier this year. This perk could be given to a friend.
4 Qualifying Referrals
- 21” Arachnid Wheels for Model S or 22” Turbine Wheels for Model X — Wheels designed to improve the performance of the Model S and X.
- One Week with Model S or Model X – The Teslas used for this perk could be used on a road trip. Customers who opt to not use this reward can give this to a friend.
5 Qualifying Referrals
- Tesla Unveiling Invitation – Owners who reach five referral orders will be invited to a future unveiling event. The VIP invitation is valid for the Tesla owner and one guest.
- Founders Series Powerwall 2 – This home battery storage unit features a unique red color scheme.
Tesla is also extending its Race an Electric Semi Truck referral award. Just like before, the person who can get the most number of friends to sign up for Tesla’s newsletter would have the opportunity to race the Tesla Semi around the company’s test track.
Referral rewards for Tesla Solar have also been extended with the updated program. Owners could give their referrals a 5-year extended limited warranty on new solar energy system installations. One to four qualifying referrals would give Tesla owners $400 cash of $750 credit per installed referrals. Five qualifying referrals gives owners a free Founders Series Powerwall 2 battery.