Connect with us

Investor's Corner

Wall Street explains why they are bullish on Musk-Trump alliance

Published

on

Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas released a new research note clarifying why he raised the target price for Tesla Motors (TSLA) to $305 per share. Jonas warns investors who have equated Elon Musk’s new relationship with Donald Trump with a higher stock price. “There is no way to quantify the value (if any) of Tesla management’s advisory relationship with the new administration,” Jonas said.

Instead, Jonas emphasized the congruence between Trump’s desire for American workers to build products in American factories and Tesla’s business model which does both. Tesla is a leader in the automotive segment in both categories. “When you look at the businesses Tesla is in, you see many areas of overlapping interest” with the Trump administration, Adam Jonas told New York Times correspondent James Stewart on Friday. “To the extent the new administration prioritizes the creation of valuable, innovative high tech and manufacturing jobs, Tesla stands at the epicenter of that.”

In fact, the auto industry manufactures relatively few cars that can be truly called “US Made.” According to a chart compiled by Cars.com last year, the number of models of light duty vehicles that qualify for that label has fallen precipitously in recent years from nearly 30 in 2010 to only 8 in 2016.

Another analyst weighing on the Musk-Trump connection is Andrew Hughes, an alternative energy analyst for Credit Suisse. Hughes said solar investors “aren’t nearly as negative as they were the day after the election.” In part, that is because solar power — which up until now has needed significant federal incentives to survive — has become so inexpensive, particularly with regard to coal, that many industry observers think it will survive on its own even if those incentives are eliminated by the Trump administration.

Advertisement

Despite Donald Trump’s antipathy to renewable energy, business is all about the bottom line. If solar costs less than coal, then business is going to switch to solar no matter what the president has to say. Elon Musk is also heavily involved in re-imagining the role of the electrical grid. He sees battery storage as the key to making the grid compatible with renewables like solar and wind.

Musk has gone head-to-head with utility companies, including NV Energy, which is owned by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway company. In 2016, Musk and SolarCity lost a round when the Nevada PUC enacted new rules imposing monthly assessments on people with rooftop solar systems. In return, SolarCity terminated its operations in the state, laying off hundreds of local workers.

Nevertheless, Musk expects both Tesla with its grid scale batteries and SolarCity with its rooftop systems — including the revolutionary Solar Roof — to play an ongoing part in how people get their electricity in the future. Last fall, just prior to unveiling the Solar Roof, Musk said, “The solution is both local power generation and utility power generation — it’s not one or the other”. He went on to suggest that the proper mix would be about one third residential rooftop power and two thirds power from traditional utility companies.

The US Energy Department stated in its annual energy and jobs report issues earlier this month that “solar technologies, both photovoltaic and concentrated, employ almost 374,000 workers, or 43 percent of the electric power generation work force.” Compare that to the number of workers employed to make electricity from coal. That number is just 86,000 workers. “The jobs data is a compelling argument in favor of the tax credits,” Andrew Hughes said. “I want to believe that Trump won’t kill solar, but there’s still a lot of uncertainty. The big question: Will he take away the tax credits?”

Advertisement

Musk received plenty of blowback when he decided to endorse former CEO of ExxonMobil Rex Tillerson for the position of Secretary of State. That makes him the public face of the fossil fuel industries and theoretically a natural adversary for Musk and his commitment to zero emissions energy. But Elon thinks Tillerson can temper some of the president’s more outrageous plans to extract every last molecule of fossil fuel that can be found on the planet.

Tillerson also advocates for a carbon tax, an idea that Musk strongly supports. According to reports, Musk floated the carbon tax idea at last week’s meeting of business advisors to the president. While Donald Trump did not dismiss the idea out of hand, Musk found little to no support from others in the room.

Trump likes to think big and take bold actions. So does Elon Musk. In some ways, it’s easy to see why the two men might take a liking to each other. Trump is especially interested in space exploration, something that fits perfectly with Musk’s passion for establishing a human colony on Mars.

Job creation in America for American workers, rebooting the traditional utility grid to use modern technology, sending people off to live on other planets. These are all things that interest both men. But cozying up to Trump also exposes Musk to dissatisfaction with some of the president’s less popular plans, like building walls with neighboring countries, sending federal troops into American cities, and banning immigration by people who espouse certain religions. To be successful, Tesla will need a broad base of customers. Musk has been careful to avoid political involvement so far. His association with the new president exposes him to new dangers.

Advertisement

One gets the sense that Musk is willing to accept some of the negatives if he can make progress on his passion for a carbon tax. But if that idea is stymied by Trump and his advisors, Elon’s desire to work with the new administration may cool considerably. Perhaps the most danger comes from the unpredictability and volatility of the new president, who can change course in a heartbeat. Musk will be need to be nimble to avoid getting rolled over by Trump in the future.

The president is scheduled to meet with his council of business leaders today, at which time he says he will provide details about his plant to cut government regulation of business by “75% or more.” That will give Musk yet another chance to evaluate the business acumen of Donald Trump and decide whether his involvement with his plans will pay dividends for him and the companies he leads. As Adam Jonas said in his report, it is impossible to predict how the association between Trump and Musk will benefit either.

"I write about technology and the coming zero emissions revolution."

Advertisement
Comments

Elon Musk

SpaceX just filed for the IPO everyone was waiting for

SpaceX filed its public S-1, revealing $18.7 billion in revenue and billions in losses.

Published

on

By

SpaceX-Ax-4-mission-iss-launch-date

SpaceX publicly filed its S-1 registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission on May 20, 2026, making its financial details available to the public for the first time ahead of what could be the largest IPO in history.

An S-1 is the formal document a company must submit to the SEC before going public. It includes audited financials, risk factors, business descriptions, and how the company plans to use the money it raises. Companies are required to file one before selling shares to the public, and it must be published at least 15 days before the investor roadshow begins. SpaceX had already submitted a confidential draft to the SEC in April, which allowed regulators to review the filing privately before it went public.

The S-1 reveals that SpaceX generated $18.7 billion in consolidated revenue in 2025, driven largely by its Starlink satellite internet division, which posted $11.4 billion in revenue, growing nearly 50% year over year. Despite that growth, the company lost about $4.9 billion in 2025 and has burned through more than $37 billion since its founding.

SpaceX just forced Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile to team up for the first time in history

Advertisement

A significant portion of those losses trace back to xAI, Elon Musk’s artificial intelligence company, which was recently merged into SpaceX. SpaceX directed roughly 60% of its capital spending in 2025 to its AI division, totaling around $20 billion, yet that division lost billions and grew revenue by only about 22%.

SpaceX plans to list its Class A common stock on Nasdaq under the ticker SPCX, with Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and Bank of America leading the offering. The dual-class share structure means going public will not meaningfully reduce Musk’s control, as Class B shares he holds carry 10 votes per share compared to one vote for public Class A shares.

The company is targeting a raise of around $75 billion at a valuation of roughly $1.75 trillion, which would make it the largest IPO ever. The investor roadshow is reportedly planned for June 5.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Elon Musk

Tesla ditches India after years of broken promises

Tesla has ditched its plans to build a factory in India after years of failed negotiations.

Published

on

By

Tesla’s long-running effort to establish a manufacturing presence in India is officially over. India’s Minister of Heavy Industries H.D. Kumaraswamy confirmed on May 19, 2026 that Tesla has informed authorities it will not proceed with a manufacturing facility in the country.

Tesla first signaled serious interest in India around 2021, when it began hiring local staff and lobbying the Indian government for lower import tariffs. The ask was straightforward: reduce duties enough for Tesla to test the market with imported vehicles before committing capital to a local factory. India’s position was equally firm, with an ask of Tesla to commit to manufacturing first, then receive tariff relief. Neither side moved, and the talks quietly collapsed.

Tesla to open first India experience center in Mumbai on July 15

India had offered a policy that would reduce import duties from 110% down to 15% on EVs priced above $35,000, provided companies committed at least $500 million toward local manufacturing investment within three years. Tesla declined to participate. The tariff standoff was only part of the problem. Analysts pointed to significant gaps in India’s local supply chain, inadequate industrial infrastructure, and a mismatch between Tesla’s premium pricing and the purchasing power of India’s automotive market as additional factors that made the investment difficult to justify.

Advertisement

First signs of an unraveling relationship came in April 2024, when Musk abruptly cancelled a planned trip to India where he was set to meet Prime Minister Modi and announce Tesla’s market entry. By July 2024, Fortune reported that Tesla executives had stopped contacting Indian government officials entirely. The government at that point understood Tesla had capital constraints and no plans to invest.

The more fundamental issue is that Tesla’s existing factories are currently operating at approximately 60% capacity, making a commitment to building new manufacturing capacity in a new market difficult to defend to investors. Tesla will continue selling imported Model Y vehicles through its existing showrooms in Mumbai, Delhi, Gurugram, and Bengaluru, but local production is no longer part of the plan.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

SpaceX just forced Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile to team up for the first time in history

AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon just joined forces for one reason: Starlink is winning.

Published

on

By

Starlink D2D direct to device vs Verizon, AT&T (Concept render by Grok)

America’s three largest wireless carriers, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, announced on On May 14, 2026 that they had agreed in principle to form a joint venture aimed at pooling their spectrum resources to expand satellite-based direct-to-device (D2D) connectivity across the United States in what can be seen as a direct response to SpaceX’s Starlink initiative. D2D, in plain terms, is technology that lets a standard smartphone connect directly to a satellite in orbit, the same way it connects to a cell tower, with no extra hardware required.

The alliance is widely seen as a means to slow Starlink’s rapid expansion in the satellite internet and mobile markets. SpaceX’s Starlink Mobile service launched commercially in July 2025 through a partnership with T-Mobile, starting with messaging before expanding to broadband data. SpaceX secured access to valuable wireless spectrum through its $17 billion deal with EchoStar, paving the way for significantly faster satellite-to-phone speeds.

The FCC just said ‘No’ to SpaceX for now

SpaceX was not shy about its reaction. SpaceX president and COO Gwynne Shotwell responded on X: “Weeeelllll, I guess Starlink Mobile is doing something right! It’s David and Goliath (X3) all over again — I’m bettin’ on David.” SpaceX’s VP of Satellite Policy David Goldman went further, flagging potential antitrust concerns and asking whether the DOJ would even allow three dominant competitors to coordinate in a market where a new rival is actively entering.

Advertisement


Financial analysts at LightShed Partners were blunt, saying the announcement showed the three carriers are “nervous,” and pointed to the timing: “You announce an agreement in principle when the point is the announcement, not the deal. The timing, weeks ahead of the SpaceX roadshow, was the point.”

As Teslarati reported, SpaceX’s next generation Starlink V2 satellites will deliver up to 100 times the data density of the current system, with custom silicon and phased array antennas enabling around 20 times the throughput of the first generation. The carriers’ JV, which has no definitive agreement, no financial structure, and no deployment timeline yet, will need to move quickly to matter.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX is targeting a Nasdaq listing as early as June 12, aiming for what would be the largest IPO in history. With Starlink now serving over 9 million subscribers across 155 countries, holding 59 carrier partnerships globally, and now powering Air Force One, the carriers’ joint venture announcement landed at exactly the wrong time to look like anything other than a defensive move.

Advertisement
Continue Reading