Connect with us

News

Rivian electric cars will have Amazon Alexa integration

Rivian's R1T electric pickup truck on display at Amazon's re:MARS event. | Image: Amazon/reMARS (Twitter)

Published

on

Rivian’s appearance at Amazon’s re:MARS tech conference in Las Vegas last week has unveiled a new connection between the two companies via Alexa, the online mega retailer’s digital assistant. Rivian’s all-electric R1T pickup truck was shown integrated with Alexa’s smart home functionality to allow voice commands for its electronic features.

In a video published by the official re:MARS Twitter account, Rivian team member Christian Hubbell is seen demonstrating a voice command on the R1T.

“Alexa, open the hood,” he dictates into a remote device, explaining “what it’s gonna do is invoke our smart home function. It’s gonna open the front hood, and then we’re gonna be able to put [in] any groceries, packs, gear, you name it.” While Hubbell is describing the Alexa command function, the R1T hood is seen opening in the background, as instructed.

Advertisement
https://twitter.com/AmazonreMARS/status/1138136470466768904

Amazon’s re:MARS 2019 event is an information and networking conference focused on artificial intelligence (AI), robotics, and other related Earth and space technologies, including self-driving. This is the event’s first year and took place June 4-7 at the Aria Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.

Rivian’s attendance at re:MARS was announced by the event’s official Twitter account, and ‘#alexaauto’ was tagged in the message, indicating the startup’s vehicles might be integrated with Alexa technology. This indication now seems to be a definite possibility based on the video demo. “What happens when you combine a thirst for adventure with automotive tech and AI? Meet the world’s first Electric Adventure Vehicle at #reMARS to find out,” the announcement tweet said while featuring the R1T on a road trip to Sedona and utilizing the truck’s recently unveiled kitchen module.

At this time, it’s unclear what Rivian’s integration with Amazon’s digital assistant will be aside from voice command functionality. The R1T truck was demonstrated at the LA and New York International Auto Shows to have numerous electronic features that would be candidates for the Alexa feature. In addition to the hood/frunk open and close function, the pickup truck’s tailgate has 180 degree mobility, the suspension can be raised and lowered as needed, and the glass roof is electrochromatic for changing colors in response to outside weather and light conditions, all operated electronically. Both the R1T and the R1S SUV are slated for production and delivery late next year.

Overall, although details are still limited regarding Rivian’s final tech offerings in its production R1T truck and R1S SUV, the opportunities and potential features are promising. In the case of Amazon, who led a $700 million dollar investment into the electric car maker in February, Rivian’s re:MARS demos and any future technology sharing would seem to be a mutually beneficial endeavor for the two companies. Perhaps more sharing is in the works with other Amazon investments such as Aurora, a self-driving startup, whose goal is to support a range of manufacturers and transportation networks with its independent software. Rivian’s vehicles will have Level 2 autonomous driving hardware installed, upgradable to Level 3 via over-the-air updates once available.

Advertisement

Accidental computer geek, fascinated by most history and the multiplanetary future on its way. Quite keen on the democratization of space. | It's pronounced day-sha, but I answer to almost any variation thereof.

Advertisement
Comments

Cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck’s newest trim will undergo massive change in ten days, Musk says

It appears as if the new All-Wheel-Drive trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Elon Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Published

on

(Credit: Tesla)

Tesla’s new Cybertruck trim has already gotten the axe from CEO Elon Musk, who said the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the all-electric pickup will only be available “for the next ten days.”

Musk could mean the price, which is $59,990, or the availability of the trim altogether.

Last night, Tesla launched the All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, a pickup that comes in at less than $60,000 and features a competitive range and features that are not far off from the offerings of the premium trim.

Tesla launches new Cybertruck trim with more features than ever for a low price

It was a nice surprise from Tesla, considering that last year, it offered a Rear-Wheel-Drive trim of the Cybertruck that only lasted a few months. It had extremely underwhelming demand because it was only $10,000 cheaper than the next trim level up, and it was missing a significant number of premium features.

Simply put, it was not worth the money. Tesla killed the RWD Cybertruck just a few months after offering it.

With the news that Tesla was offering this All-Wheel-Drive configuration of the Cybertruck, many fans and consumers were encouraged. The Cybertruck has been an underwhelming seller, and this seemed to be a lot of truck for the price when looking at its features:

  • Dual Motor AWD w/ est. 325 mi of range
  • Powered tonneau cover
  • Bed outlets (2x 120V + 1x 240V) & Powershare capability
  • Coil springs w/ adaptive damping
  • Heated first-row seats w/ textile material that is easy to clean
  • Steer-by-wire & Four Wheel Steering
  • 6’ x 4’ composite bed
  • Towing capacity of up to 7,500 lbs
  • Powered frunk

It appears as if this trim of Cybertruck won’t be around for too long, however. Musk revealed this morning that it will be around “only for the next 10 days.”

Musk could mean the price of the truck and not necessarily the ability to order it. However, most are taking it as a cancellation.

If it is, in fact, a short-term availability decision, it is baffling, especially as Tesla fans and analysts claim that metrics like quarterly deliveries are no longer important. This seems like a way to boost sales short-term, and if so many people are encouraged about this offering, why would it be kept around for such a short period of time?

Some are even considering the potential that Tesla axes the Cybertruck program as a whole. Although Musk said during the recent Q4 Earnings Call that Cybertruck would still be produced, the end of the Model S and Model X programs indicates Tesla might be prepared to do away with any low-volume vehicles that do not contribute to the company’s future visions of autonomy.

The decision to axe the car just ten days after making it available seems like a true head-scratcher.

Continue Reading

Elon Musk

Elon Musk’s Neuralink sparks BCI race in China

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Published

on

Credit: Neuralink

Neuralink, founded by Elon Musk, is helping spark a surge of brain-computer interface (BCI) development in China, where startups are moving quickly into human trials with strong state backing. 

One of the most prominent is NeuroXess, which launched in 2021 and is already testing implants in patients.

Neuralink’s clinical work and public demonstrations have drawn worldwide attention to invasive brain implants that allow patients to control digital devices using their minds. The company is currently running a global clinical trial and is also busy preparing for its next product, Blindsight, which would restore vision to people with visual impairments.

Neuralink’s visibility has helped accelerate similar efforts in China. Beijing last year classified brain-computer interfaces as a strategic sector and issued a roadmap calling for two or three globally competitive companies by 2030, as per the Financial Times. Since February last year, at least 10 clinical trials for invasive brain chips have launched in the country.

Advertisement

NeuroXess recently reported that a paralyzed patient was able to control a computer cursor within five days of implantation. Founder Tiger Tao credited government support for helping shorten the path from research to trials.

Investment activity has followed the policy push. Industry data show dozens of financing rounds for Chinese BCI startups over the past year, reflecting rising capital interest in the field. Ultimately, while Neuralink remains one of the most closely watched players globally, its momentum has clearly energized competitors abroad.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Tesla Supercharger vandalized with frozen cables and anti-Musk imagery amid Sweden union dispute

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall.

Published

on

Credit: Tesla Charging/X

Tesla’s Supercharger site in Vansbro, Sweden, was vandalized during peak winter travel weeks. Images shared to local media showed frozen charging cables and a banner reading “Go home Elon,” which was complete with a graphic of Musk’s controversial gesture. 

The incident comes amid Tesla’s ongoing labor dispute with IF Metall, which has been striking against the company for more than two years over collective bargaining agreements, as noted in a report from Expressen.

Local resident Stefan Jakobsson said he arrived at the Vansbro charging station to find a board criticizing Elon Musk and accusing Tesla of strikebreaking. He also found the charging cables frozen after someone seemingly poured water over them.

“I laughed a little and it was pretty nicely drawn. But it was a bit unnecessary,” Jakobsson said. “They don’t have to do vandalism because they’re angry at Elon Musk.”

Advertisement

The site has seen heavy traffic during Sweden’s winter sports holidays, with travelers heading toward Sälen and other mountain destinations. Jakobsson said long lines formed last weekend, with roughly 50 Teslas and other EVs waiting to charge.

Tesla Superchargers in Sweden are typically open to other electric vehicle brands, making them a reliable option for all EV owners. 

Tesla installed a generator at the location after sympathy strikes from other unions disrupted power supply to some stations. The generator itself was reportedly not working on the morning of the incident, though it is unclear whether that was connected to the protest.

The dispute between Tesla and IF Metall centers on the company’s refusal to sign a collective agreement covering Swedish workers. The strike has drawn support from other unions, including Seko, which has taken steps affecting electricity supply to certain Tesla facilities. Tesla Sweden, for its part, has insisted that its workers are already fairly compensated and it does not need a collective agreement,

Advertisement

Jesper Pettersson, press spokesperson for IF Metall, criticized Tesla’s use of generators to keep charging stations running. Still, IF Metall emphasized that it strongly distances itself from the vandalism incident at the Vansbro Supercharger.

“We think it is remarkable that instead of taking the easy route and signing a collective agreement for our members, they are choosing to use every possible means to get around the strike,” Pettersson said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading