News
Spero Worldwide is raffling a Tesla Model S Plaid to save Afghan families from the Taliban
Spero Worldwide is raffling a Tesla Model S Plaid with Freedom Raffle to save Afghan families from the Taliban. The 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization evacuates extremely at-risk Afghan allies and their families to safety and resettles them in Brazil.
Together with Breaux Vineyards, the nonprofit hopes to save a total of 812 people who are still in hiding.

Tom Silva**, who runs a safe house network and ground evacuation operation inside Afghanistan, told Teslarati that Spero needs this fundraiser to be a success so that the nonprofit can continue to rescue these incredibly at-risk families and give them a future.
He then shared the story of a six-year-old girl named Yousra who was just recently rescued.

“She’s an Afghan child we evacuated from Afghanistan with her extremely at-risk family. She lived in a network of safe houses inside Afghanistan for the last year until we could get them resettled in Brazil last month.”
“She started school today in freedom in Brazil!”
In a statement to Teslarati, Spero Worldwide’s President, Jennifer Cervantes said that there has been a small team quietly evacuating these families since August 2021.
“On average, to safely evacuate one Afghan and get them to Brazil and provide 12 months of sustainment, it costs us $8,500 per person,” she said in an email. She also emphasized the urgency of the situation for the families in need.
“This year we have evacuated 530 people and we are trying to get our last 151 families (approximately 812 people) out of Afghanistan, but we do not currently have the funding to support these next efforts. Two weeks ago, one of the families on our list had their house broken into by the Taliban.”
“Dad was already in hiding and being moved around. Mom was beaten and tortured trying to get her to give up her husband’s whereabouts. When Mom wouldn’t talk, the Taliban put a bayonet on her 1-year-old daughter’s head, threatening to kill her, and slicing her forehead with the tip. Then they took a hot iron and burned the daughter trying to get her mother to tell where her father was located.”
“This family remains in Afghanistan because we simply do not have funds to move them out. And in all honesty, this is not an abnormal story right now. The great majority of the families we are working with worked in counter-terrorism – essentially making sure that our U.S. forces were safe and working to prevent terrorist attacks against civilians across the country.”
“They also worked to uncover networks of terrorists to prevent attacks on U.S. soil. These families are an enormous target for the Taliban, and they have been ruthlessly hunting them down, torturing and killing them when they are able to find them.”
Win The Tesla Model S Plaid And Help Spero Worldwide save 151 families (812 people)
The prize is a new 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid and the winner will also have their federal and state taxes for the prize covered. The prize is worth over $190,000 and it only costs $150 to purchase a ticket. The prize details are:
Vehicle: 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid – Tri-Motor All-Wheel Drive
Paint: Midnight Silver Metallic
Wheels: 19″ Tempest Wheels
Interior: All Black Included Carbon Fiber Décor
Plaid Upgrades Included:
- Quickest accelerating car in production today
- 0-60 mph: 1.99s
- 1/4 mile: 9.23@155 mph trap speed
- 1,020 horsepower
- Three high-performance motors with carbon-sleeved rotors
- Torque vectoring
Entrants must be 18 years old or older and the raffle is prohibited in the following states: Alabama, California, Hawaii, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, New Jersey, Utah, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Ticket sales end Saturday, October 1, 2022, at 3 pm EST unless the tickets sell out earlier. The winner will be announced on October 1, 2022, at 5:15 pm EST via a live stream. Click here to visit Freedom Raffle and purchase a ticket or donate.
** For safety purposes, Tom Silva is the pseudonym that was given to protect the identity of the safe house operator.
Your feedback is important. If you have any comments, concerns, or see a typo, you can email me at johnna@teslarati.com. You can also reach me on Twitter @JohnnaCrider1
News
Tesla Cybercab launch gets official date in Austin with dedicated event
Tesla Cybercab is set to launch in Austin, Texas, on September 3, as the company has officially started sending out invitations to a dedicated event it will hold in the city where its headquarters is located.
The Cybercab is Tesla’s dedicated ride-sharing vehicle: it features just two seats and has no steering wheel or pedals. It is aimed at fully autonomous passenger transport, and will operate in the Robotaxi fleet alongside the Tesla Model Y, which has been performing driverless rides for real-world passengers for more than a year.
Thank you so much @Tesla for inviting us to the Cybercab launch in Austin! 🤠 pic.twitter.com/F1rAR8zd5O
— TESLARATI (@Teslarati) August 22, 2026
The launch of the Cybercab marks the next chapter in Tesla’s autonomy story. The company has been developing autonomous transport for years with its Full Self-Driving (Supervised) platform, which is available in any vehicle the company has built with the proper hardware and software capabilities.
Its capabilities vary by hardware and software version, but Tesla says its latest hardware version, known as AI4, can deliver full autonomy. However, future vehicles will operate with even more robust hardware packages, as Tesla will develop AI4.5 and AI5 for even more capability in its vehicles.
Following a report from The Information that surfaced earlier this week, the writing was on the wall that Tesla was set to launch Cybercab in the near term. The report stated Tesla could launch Cybercab as soon as the end of August. Tesla came close and has booked it for September 3.
The big thing with this event being scheduled is not necessarily that Tesla is launching a new vehicle, but instead that it is launching a vehicle that has no steering wheel or pedals and will operate exclusively on a self-driving program that is evidently nearing full autonomy. If the event allows vehicles to take passengers on public roads and drop them off wherever they please within the City of Austin, it will be a drastic advancement in the company’s self-driving story.
People have ridden in Cybercab previously: Tesla had the “We, Robot” event in October 2024, which allowed people to experience fully autonomous rides in a closed circuit at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank.
🚨 Ride in a Tesla Cybercab with us
— TESLARATI (@Teslarati) May 11, 2025
Additionally, Tesla launched employee rides in Cybercab in July.
It’s a drastic step forward for Tesla, whose CEO, Elon Musk, has promised for years that the company would release a fully autonomous vehicle and platform capable of allowing drivers to relinquish any responsibility behind the wheel.
Elon Musk
SpaceX and a new Trump order that could rewrite the next decade of launches
Elon Musk put a number on where he thinks SpaceX’s Starship program is headed by 2030, replying on X a day after President Trump signed a memo pushing the country toward 1,000 space launches and reentries a year.
The exchange started when Aaron Burnett, co-founder of propulsion startup Mach 33, posted that “1,000 launches/reentries is the goal,” quoting White House science adviser Michael Kratsios on the newly signed National Space Transportation Policy. Burnett noted that the FAA’s own bull-case forecast reached only 385 annual launches by 2030, while his firm’s conservative model already put SpaceX alone near 940. Musk responded, “We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized. Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!”
We’re aiming to reach 30+ Starship launches/day in 2030, which is ~10k annualized.
Still tiny numbers compared to airplane flights!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 21, 2026
That figure is specific to Starship, the rocket SpaceX is still developing for orbital and lunar missions, not the Falcon 9 fleet that carries most of the company’s current launch volume. Starship has flown twice this year, a slower pace than the four and five flights SpaceX managed in 2024 and 2025. Getting from two flights a year to 30 a day is the scale of jump the new federal policy is meant to clear regulatory room for.
Trump’s memo, signed Thursday, directs agencies to identify new launch and reentry sites on federal land, including a new reentry site within 90 days, and to speed up the permitting and environmental reviews that have long slowed cadence growth. It also sets a goal of returning American astronauts to the moon by 2028 and placing initial lunar base elements by 2030, tying the launch buildout directly to NASA’s Artemis program.
SpaceX has already been pushing the FAA toward higher numbers on its own. The agency approved up to 44 annual Starship launches from Kennedy Space Center in February, on top of a 2024 review that raised the cap at Starbase in Texas to 25 a year. Those approvals cover a fraction of the 10,000 annual flights Musk is now describing, which shows how far current permitting still sits from the administration’s stated target.
The near-term test of all this is more modest. SpaceX cleared a full-duration, six-engine static fire on its next Starship vehicle this week, the last major hardware checkpoint before Flight 14, which is targeting no earlier than August 28 and is expected to attempt the vehicle’s first full orbital mission. Musk said last week that a tower catch of the upper stage is still probably months away, a reminder that the immediate roadmap remains far more incremental than the daily launch numbers he just posted.
TESLARATI Premium Membership
$19.99 USDNews
Tesla will resolve massive China recall with stickers and a software update
Tesla will resolve its massive recall of nearly three million vehicles in China with stickers and a software update.
On Friday, Chinese regulators filed recall plans against Tesla, Xiaomi, Leapmotor, Xpeng, Chery, Geely, Dongfeng, Arcfox, and FAW to resolve what is essentially a carbon-copy issue throughout each of the companies’ vehicle models: emergency door release latches are simply not visible enough.
Tesla door handle saga gets its latest chapter and a big change is coming
The companies will be required to add things that will make these latches, which will open the door in the event of an emergency, more visible. Of the 7 million vehicles impacted, Tesla accounts for 2,975,910 units. More than 1.9 million of those are Model Y vehicles, with the rest, just over 970,000, being Model 3s.
To resolve the issue, Tesla is going to add warning labels to the emergency latches free of charge, and then utilize an Over-the-Air update to add a post-crash window-lowering strategy, according to CNEVpost.
This massive effort to fix the all-electric Model Y and Model 3’s emergency latch system comes just months after several probes across various markets identified the trouble some had identifying this latch. Those who had gotten involved in car accidents that stripped the vehicle of its power were not aware that every Tesla has emergency door latches.
China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) said that severe crashes that disable a vehicle’s low-voltage system could not only hinder occupants from getting out, but also make it more difficult for emergency response workers to gain entry.
SAMR is starting to tighten the regulations it has on door handles on vehicles. A new mandatory national standard will take effect for all models starting January 1, 2027, and will require all doors to be equipped with mechanical release mechanisms. This will effectively end purely electronic door handles. Models already on sale with type approval have been granted a two-year transition period, which will enable things to change until January 2029.